Mar 30, 2013, 4:45 PM EDT
The St. Louis Blues have been hunting for defensive help and they may have just found that today.
The Blues acquired defenseman Jordan Leopold from the Buffalo Sabres in exchange for their 2013 second-round pick and a conditional fifth-round pick. According to Jeremy Rutherford of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, the condition is if the Blues win a playoff round, the pick turns into a fourth-round selection.
Sabres GM sending Leopold out of town with an expiring deal ($3 million cap hit) could signal the start of big changes in Buffalo. There have been rumors swirling about players, including Ryan Miller and Drew Stafford, being shuffled out of town thanks to the Sabres’ disappointing season.
St. Louis, meanwhile, tried filling out their blue line with Wade Redden and youngster Ian Cole, but they’re in need of help to back up Kevin Shattenkirk and Alex Pietrangelo. Leopold gives them a guy who can move the puck and a left-handed shot. He has two goals and six assists in 24 games this season while averaging just over 21 minutes of ice time per game.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 49
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)