Mar 30, 2013, 4:45 PM EDT
The St. Louis Blues have been hunting for defensive help and they may have just found that today.
The Blues acquired defenseman Jordan Leopold from the Buffalo Sabres in exchange for their 2013 second-round pick and a conditional fifth-round pick. According to Jeremy Rutherford of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, the condition is if the Blues win a playoff round, the pick turns into a fourth-round selection.
Sabres GM sending Leopold out of town with an expiring deal ($3 million cap hit) could signal the start of big changes in Buffalo. There have been rumors swirling about players, including Ryan Miller and Drew Stafford, being shuffled out of town thanks to the Sabres’ disappointing season.
St. Louis, meanwhile, tried filling out their blue line with Wade Redden and youngster Ian Cole, but they’re in need of help to back up Kevin Shattenkirk and Alex Pietrangelo. Leopold gives them a guy who can move the puck and a left-handed shot. He has two goals and six assists in 24 games this season while averaging just over 21 minutes of ice time per game.
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 18
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 38
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 2
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 59
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 55
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (60)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)