Mar 30, 2013, 4:45 PM EDT
The St. Louis Blues have been hunting for defensive help and they may have just found that today.
The Blues acquired defenseman Jordan Leopold from the Buffalo Sabres in exchange for their 2013 second-round pick and a conditional fifth-round pick. According to Jeremy Rutherford of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, the condition is if the Blues win a playoff round, the pick turns into a fourth-round selection.
Sabres GM sending Leopold out of town with an expiring deal ($3 million cap hit) could signal the start of big changes in Buffalo. There have been rumors swirling about players, including Ryan Miller and Drew Stafford, being shuffled out of town thanks to the Sabres’ disappointing season.
St. Louis, meanwhile, tried filling out their blue line with Wade Redden and youngster Ian Cole, but they’re in need of help to back up Kevin Shattenkirk and Alex Pietrangelo. Leopold gives them a guy who can move the puck and a left-handed shot. He has two goals and six assists in 24 games this season while averaging just over 21 minutes of ice time per game.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 4
- Five big games to watch this weekend 6
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 32
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 28
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 35
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 52
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (52)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)