Mar 30, 2013, 4:45 PM EDT
The St. Louis Blues have been hunting for defensive help and they may have just found that today.
The Blues acquired defenseman Jordan Leopold from the Buffalo Sabres in exchange for their 2013 second-round pick and a conditional fifth-round pick. According to Jeremy Rutherford of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, the condition is if the Blues win a playoff round, the pick turns into a fourth-round selection.
Sabres GM sending Leopold out of town with an expiring deal ($3 million cap hit) could signal the start of big changes in Buffalo. There have been rumors swirling about players, including Ryan Miller and Drew Stafford, being shuffled out of town thanks to the Sabres’ disappointing season.
St. Louis, meanwhile, tried filling out their blue line with Wade Redden and youngster Ian Cole, but they’re in need of help to back up Kevin Shattenkirk and Alex Pietrangelo. Leopold gives them a guy who can move the puck and a left-handed shot. He has two goals and six assists in 24 games this season while averaging just over 21 minutes of ice time per game.
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning 0
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 30
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)