Mar 30, 2013, 9:37 AM EDT
Washington is in a similar situation to what they had a couple seasons ago. They’ve got three young goalies they like and just one of them dominating most of the ice time. Braden Holtby is their No. 1 guy now with Michal Neuvirth backing him up and Philipp Grubauer waiting in the wings in AHL Hershey.
With the trade deadline coming up on Wednesday, does that mean there’s a deal coming? Capitals GM George McPhee doesn’t see it that way. In speaking with reporters recently, he says he likes the surplus of talent they’ve got in goal, as CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley shares.
“I’m in no hurry to make a change there. It’s the most important position in the game and you have to be careful,” McPhee said. “We felt we could move [Semyon] Varlamov [to Colorado] because we had these two kids coming and we’ve got [Philipp] Grubauer now, but you’d like for [Grubauer] to have a little more experience.”
The easiest way for Grubauer to get that experience would be to have someone ahead of him cleared out. McPhee mentioning Semyon Varlamov makes sense for this situation as that’s what this one is very similar to.
He’d probably change his tone about dealing one of his goalies if a team offered up their first and second round picks for one of them.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)