Mar 30, 2013, 9:37 AM EDT
Washington is in a similar situation to what they had a couple seasons ago. They’ve got three young goalies they like and just one of them dominating most of the ice time. Braden Holtby is their No. 1 guy now with Michal Neuvirth backing him up and Philipp Grubauer waiting in the wings in AHL Hershey.
With the trade deadline coming up on Wednesday, does that mean there’s a deal coming? Capitals GM George McPhee doesn’t see it that way. In speaking with reporters recently, he says he likes the surplus of talent they’ve got in goal, as CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley shares.
“I’m in no hurry to make a change there. It’s the most important position in the game and you have to be careful,” McPhee said. “We felt we could move [Semyon] Varlamov [to Colorado] because we had these two kids coming and we’ve got [Philipp] Grubauer now, but you’d like for [Grubauer] to have a little more experience.”
The easiest way for Grubauer to get that experience would be to have someone ahead of him cleared out. McPhee mentioning Semyon Varlamov makes sense for this situation as that’s what this one is very similar to.
He’d probably change his tone about dealing one of his goalies if a team offered up their first and second round picks for one of them.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 41
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)