Mar 30, 2013, 12:05 PM EDT
Coach Dan Bylsma told reporters this morning that defenseman Paul Martin will be out six weeks with a broken bone that requires surgery and was placed on injured reserve. Which bone was unspecified, but this injury puts him out of action through the first round of the playoffs.
This could mean rookie Simon Despres gets called back from the minors to take his spot on the roster. While having him helps, Martin’s return to his previous form this season helped solidify Pittsburgh’s back line.
In case you’re wondering, the Penguins have over $4 million in cap space just in case GM Ray Shero gets the itch to go and add another player to help cushion the blow of losing Martin. Yeah, we didn’t think life was fair either.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 25
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 23
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 36
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (68)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)