Mar 30, 2013, 12:05 PM EDT
Coach Dan Bylsma told reporters this morning that defenseman Paul Martin will be out six weeks with a broken bone that requires surgery and was placed on injured reserve. Which bone was unspecified, but this injury puts him out of action through the first round of the playoffs.
This could mean rookie Simon Despres gets called back from the minors to take his spot on the roster. While having him helps, Martin’s return to his previous form this season helped solidify Pittsburgh’s back line.
In case you’re wondering, the Penguins have over $4 million in cap space just in case GM Ray Shero gets the itch to go and add another player to help cushion the blow of losing Martin. Yeah, we didn’t think life was fair either.
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 1
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 8
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 14
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- Tandem locked: Sens re-sign Anderson to three-year, $12.6M deal 9