Mar 30, 2013, 12:05 PM EST
Coach Dan Bylsma told reporters this morning that defenseman Paul Martin will be out six weeks with a broken bone that requires surgery and was placed on injured reserve. Which bone was unspecified, but this injury puts him out of action through the first round of the playoffs.
This could mean rookie Simon Despres gets called back from the minors to take his spot on the roster. While having him helps, Martin’s return to his previous form this season helped solidify Pittsburgh’s back line.
In case you’re wondering, the Penguins have over $4 million in cap space just in case GM Ray Shero gets the itch to go and add another player to help cushion the blow of losing Martin. Yeah, we didn’t think life was fair either.
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 3
- In praise of the Hamburglar 13
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 7
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 17
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 54