Mar 30, 2013, 12:05 PM EDT
Coach Dan Bylsma told reporters this morning that defenseman Paul Martin will be out six weeks with a broken bone that requires surgery and was placed on injured reserve. Which bone was unspecified, but this injury puts him out of action through the first round of the playoffs.
This could mean rookie Simon Despres gets called back from the minors to take his spot on the roster. While having him helps, Martin’s return to his previous form this season helped solidify Pittsburgh’s back line.
In case you’re wondering, the Penguins have over $4 million in cap space just in case GM Ray Shero gets the itch to go and add another player to help cushion the blow of losing Martin. Yeah, we didn’t think life was fair either.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 10
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)