Mar 30, 2013, 12:05 PM EDT
Coach Dan Bylsma told reporters this morning that defenseman Paul Martin will be out six weeks with a broken bone that requires surgery and was placed on injured reserve. Which bone was unspecified, but this injury puts him out of action through the first round of the playoffs.
This could mean rookie Simon Despres gets called back from the minors to take his spot on the roster. While having him helps, Martin’s return to his previous form this season helped solidify Pittsburgh’s back line.
In case you’re wondering, the Penguins have over $4 million in cap space just in case GM Ray Shero gets the itch to go and add another player to help cushion the blow of losing Martin. Yeah, we didn’t think life was fair either.
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 4
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 11
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)