Mar 30, 2013, 2:18 AM EDT
The Anaheim Ducks have maintained a torrid pace so far, topped in the Western Conference only by the Chicago Blackhawks.
So, four straight losses in Anaheim probably seemed like a bit of a shock to the Ducks’ system. They were outscored 16-5 in those four games, and shut out in one of those games.
Friday’s 2-1 victory over the Blackhawks in Chicago got the Ducks back into the win column. It put them six points ahead of the third-place Vancouver Canucks and just three points back of the Blackhawks.
“I know I can’t win the game myself… we need everybody. Nobody was happy after the last game (against the Sharks), I know I wasn’t happy with the way I played and I don’t think many guys were,” Ducks goalie Jonas Hiller told CSN Chicago. “We knew we had to play better and we proved that if everybody plays at 100 percent, we have a chance to win against anybody.”
The top seed in the West is still within the Ducks’ reach.
But more importantly, Friday’s performance can go a long way in getting their collective confidence back.
“At least they know in their mind that when they put their mind to it, they’re a good hockey team and that the first 22 wins weren’t a fluke,” Ducks head coach Bruce Boudreau told the Orange County Register.
The Ducks improved their record to 23-7-4.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)