Mar 30, 2013, 2:18 AM EDT
The Anaheim Ducks have maintained a torrid pace so far, topped in the Western Conference only by the Chicago Blackhawks.
So, four straight losses in Anaheim probably seemed like a bit of a shock to the Ducks’ system. They were outscored 16-5 in those four games, and shut out in one of those games.
Friday’s 2-1 victory over the Blackhawks in Chicago got the Ducks back into the win column. It put them six points ahead of the third-place Vancouver Canucks and just three points back of the Blackhawks.
“I know I can’t win the game myself… we need everybody. Nobody was happy after the last game (against the Sharks), I know I wasn’t happy with the way I played and I don’t think many guys were,” Ducks goalie Jonas Hiller told CSN Chicago. “We knew we had to play better and we proved that if everybody plays at 100 percent, we have a chance to win against anybody.”
The top seed in the West is still within the Ducks’ reach.
But more importantly, Friday’s performance can go a long way in getting their collective confidence back.
“At least they know in their mind that when they put their mind to it, they’re a good hockey team and that the first 22 wins weren’t a fluke,” Ducks head coach Bruce Boudreau told the Orange County Register.
The Ducks improved their record to 23-7-4.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 5
- Five big games to watch this weekend 6
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 33
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 55
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (55)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)