Mar 30, 2013, 2:18 AM EDT
The Anaheim Ducks have maintained a torrid pace so far, topped in the Western Conference only by the Chicago Blackhawks.
So, four straight losses in Anaheim probably seemed like a bit of a shock to the Ducks’ system. They were outscored 16-5 in those four games, and shut out in one of those games.
Friday’s 2-1 victory over the Blackhawks in Chicago got the Ducks back into the win column. It put them six points ahead of the third-place Vancouver Canucks and just three points back of the Blackhawks.
“I know I can’t win the game myself… we need everybody. Nobody was happy after the last game (against the Sharks), I know I wasn’t happy with the way I played and I don’t think many guys were,” Ducks goalie Jonas Hiller told CSN Chicago. “We knew we had to play better and we proved that if everybody plays at 100 percent, we have a chance to win against anybody.”
The top seed in the West is still within the Ducks’ reach.
But more importantly, Friday’s performance can go a long way in getting their collective confidence back.
“At least they know in their mind that when they put their mind to it, they’re a good hockey team and that the first 22 wins weren’t a fluke,” Ducks head coach Bruce Boudreau told the Orange County Register.
The Ducks improved their record to 23-7-4.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 5
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 54
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)