Mar 30, 2013, 6:42 PM EST
On the heels of sending solid rookie Jake Allen to the AHL’s Peoria Rivermen on Saturday, Blues GM Doug Armstrong told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch’s Jeremy Rutherford that it will be Halak and Elliott for the rest of the year.
Then again, Rutherford points out a key caveat: rosters can bloat to 23 players following the trade deadline, so St. Louis can change course in the near future, anyway.
It’s a puzzling move if you look at the goalies’ records, although none of them have put up outstanding individual stats:
Allen: 8-3-0 with a .906 save percentage and 2.45 GAA
Halak: 6-5-1 with a .897 save percentage and 2.19 GAA
Elliott: 3-6-1 with a .851 save percentage and 3.65 GAA
Allen, 22, has the slight edge on Halak while Elliott’s numbers are just abysmal. It’s worth noting that Halak and Elliott have contracts that extend through the 2013-14 season while Allen is a restricted free agent after this season.
For now, it appears that the Blues are hoping that their two veteran goalies – including Elliott, who was a 2012 All-Star – can get the job done and make it easier to break apart the team’s three-headed monster.
With a three-game losing streak and a tenuous grasp on the West’s eighth playoff spot in mind, some believe that demoting Allen is a shaky gamble.
- Luongo leaves game, Panthers in bind with Montoya also hurt 3
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 22
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)