Mar 30, 2013, 6:42 PM EST
On the heels of sending solid rookie Jake Allen to the AHL’s Peoria Rivermen on Saturday, Blues GM Doug Armstrong told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch’s Jeremy Rutherford that it will be Halak and Elliott for the rest of the year.
Then again, Rutherford points out a key caveat: rosters can bloat to 23 players following the trade deadline, so St. Louis can change course in the near future, anyway.
It’s a puzzling move if you look at the goalies’ records, although none of them have put up outstanding individual stats:
Allen: 8-3-0 with a .906 save percentage and 2.45 GAA
Halak: 6-5-1 with a .897 save percentage and 2.19 GAA
Elliott: 3-6-1 with a .851 save percentage and 3.65 GAA
Allen, 22, has the slight edge on Halak while Elliott’s numbers are just abysmal. It’s worth noting that Halak and Elliott have contracts that extend through the 2013-14 season while Allen is a restricted free agent after this season.
For now, it appears that the Blues are hoping that their two veteran goalies – including Elliott, who was a 2012 All-Star – can get the job done and make it easier to break apart the team’s three-headed monster.
With a three-game losing streak and a tenuous grasp on the West’s eighth playoff spot in mind, some believe that demoting Allen is a shaky gamble.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 86
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 96
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 7
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 180
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (97)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (94)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (89)