Mar 30, 2013, 1:47 AM EST
The Chicago Blackhawks know all about going on a long streak that can captivate hockey fans from all different corners of the NHL.
After all, they did go 24 straight games to begin the 2013 season without a loss in regulation time.
In the Eastern Conference, it’s the Pittsburgh Penguins that are on quite a roll right now.
They’re on a 14-game winning streak, and are so far perfect in the month of March, with a Saturday afternoon game against the New York Islanders.
After a trio of trades this week that hit a peak with the addition of Jarome Iginla, have to be considered the favorites to take the Eastern Conference.
“It is a little different, it’s almost like there’s two leagues now,” Blackhawks forward Patrick Sharp told the Chicago Sun-Times.
“We don’t see them until the Stanley Cup Final, hopefully. [But] I like to watch the Eastern Conference on TV more than I like to watch the West. It seems like everyone in the West, you play them every night, you’re more familiar with them. It’s more fun to see [the East].
“I like watching the Flyers and the Penguins and Toronto Maple Leafs I grew up watching. You have to admire the way Pittsburgh’s playing, and what they’re doing to their lineup, trying to build up for a long playoff run.”
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (149)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)