Mar 29, 2013, 1:28 PM EST
The Ottawa Senators will likely be without Jason Spezza until at least the end of the regular season, general manager Bryan Murray told reporters today.
It remains unclear if Spezza will be back for the playoffs. The 29-year-old has been out of the lineup since late January and underwent back surgery on Feb. 1.
There had been hope right up until a few weeks ago that Spezza might return around the April 3 trade deadline.
Per Sportsnet’s Ian Mendes, the Sens are not saying Spezza has suffered a setback; rather, they say the rehab is just taking a little longer than expected.
Even without Spezza — not to mention Erik Karlsson, Milan Michalek, and Craig Anderson — the Sens have managed to keep winning. They head into tomorrow’s game with the Maple Leafs with six victories in their last seven.
Just so everyone remembers…
Spezza was the team’s leading points-getter last year.
Karlsson was the NHL’s best defenseman.
Michalek led the team in goals last year.
And Anderson was the early-season Vezina Trophy favorite.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)