Mar 29, 2013, 1:28 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators will likely be without Jason Spezza until at least the end of the regular season, general manager Bryan Murray told reporters today.
It remains unclear if Spezza will be back for the playoffs. The 29-year-old has been out of the lineup since late January and underwent back surgery on Feb. 1.
There had been hope right up until a few weeks ago that Spezza might return around the April 3 trade deadline.
Per Sportsnet’s Ian Mendes, the Sens are not saying Spezza has suffered a setback; rather, they say the rehab is just taking a little longer than expected.
Even without Spezza — not to mention Erik Karlsson, Milan Michalek, and Craig Anderson — the Sens have managed to keep winning. They head into tomorrow’s game with the Maple Leafs with six victories in their last seven.
Just so everyone remembers…
Spezza was the team’s leading points-getter last year.
Karlsson was the NHL’s best defenseman.
Michalek led the team in goals last year.
And Anderson was the early-season Vezina Trophy favorite.
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 14
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 12
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 28
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 43
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (43)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)