Mar 29, 2013, 11:37 AM EDT
That’s not just impressive, it’s one of the top winning streaks of all-time.
Pittsburgh is just three wins away from tying the record, which the Penguins established back in 1993 when Mario Lemieux, Kevin Stevens, Rick Tocchet, and Ron Francis were in their prime and Jaromir Jagr was rapidly emerging as one of the league’s top players.
The Penguins had a 56-21-7 record that season, easily the best in the league — and then went on to lose in the second round of the playoffs against a New York Islanders team that finished a mere three games above .500.
It’s likely in that context that Sidney Crosby chose to downplay the Penguins’ latest accomplishment.
“I don’t think anyone is going to remember (this) come playoff time,” Crosby told NHL.com.
Crosby went on to say that the Penguins’ primary goal is just to improve. All the same, breaking a record held by the Lemieux-lead squad would be quite an achievement.
Here’s the list of the Top Five single-season NHL winning streaks:
1. Pittsburgh Penguins (17 Games, March 9 – April 10, 1993)
2. New York Islanders (15 Games, Jan. 21 – Feb. 20, 1982)
3. Boston Bruins (14 Games, Dec. 3, 1929 – Jan. 9, 1930)
3. Washington Capitals (14 Games, Jan. 13 – Feb. 7, 2010)
3. Pittsburgh Penguins (14 Games, March 2 – present)
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 9
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 15
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 31
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 44
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 28
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 45
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)