Mar 29, 2013, 3:22 PM EST
The Los Angeles Kings could have a key defenseman back in the lineup by the end of the regular season.
Unfortunately, it doesn’t appear another key defenseman will be able to return for the playoffs.
The d-man that could be back is Matt Greene (back).
“I’d say he skated 15 minutes yesterday and I’d say the projection is a month,” general manager Dean Lombardi said today, per LA Kings Insider.
The other one is Willie Mitchell (knee).
“I’d say it’s a very long shot,” said Lombardi. “There’s always ‘maybe’, but I think we’re convinced now he’s not going to play this year. Now, if he comes back, then it’s clearly a bonus.”
Mitchell, 35, was a vital part of last year’s Stanley Cup championship run. In fact, only Drew Doughty played more than the veteran defensive defenseman.
For Lombardi, it begs the question of whether he needs to go out and acquire a blueliner — perhaps by offering backup goalie Jonathan Bernier — prior to Wednesday’s trade deadline.
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 6
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 34
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 75
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 32
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 63
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)