Mar 29, 2013, 4:36 PM EDT
To the surprise of nobody, the Calgary Flames will not be naming a new captain to replace Jarome Iginla before the end of the season.
“I told [the team’s four assistants] that we would not name a captain until the summer,” head coach Bob Hartley said today. “I told them they had done an unbelievable job with Jarome, but from now on we will go with a rotation of three assistants per game.”
Who gets the ‘C’ this summer will be a matter of some debate. It’s possible, after all, that one or more of the four assistants may follow Iginla out the door in a trade by Wednesday’s deadline.
It’s also possible that Iginla comes right back to Calgary this summer and signs with the Flames as a free agent.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 11
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 13
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)