Mar 29, 2013, 4:36 PM EST
To the surprise of nobody, the Calgary Flames will not be naming a new captain to replace Jarome Iginla before the end of the season.
“I told [the team’s four assistants] that we would not name a captain until the summer,” head coach Bob Hartley said today. “I told them they had done an unbelievable job with Jarome, but from now on we will go with a rotation of three assistants per game.”
Who gets the ‘C’ this summer will be a matter of some debate. It’s possible, after all, that one or more of the four assistants may follow Iginla out the door in a trade by Wednesday’s deadline.
It’s also possible that Iginla comes right back to Calgary this summer and signs with the Flames as a free agent.
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 0
- Trade: Montreal acquires Petry from Edmonton for two draft picks 11
- Bruins acquire Connolly from the Lightning for draft picks (Confirmed) 27
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 69
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (150)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)