Mar 29, 2013, 4:36 PM EDT
To the surprise of nobody, the Calgary Flames will not be naming a new captain to replace Jarome Iginla before the end of the season.
“I told [the team’s four assistants] that we would not name a captain until the summer,” head coach Bob Hartley said today. “I told them they had done an unbelievable job with Jarome, but from now on we will go with a rotation of three assistants per game.”
Who gets the ‘C’ this summer will be a matter of some debate. It’s possible, after all, that one or more of the four assistants may follow Iginla out the door in a trade by Wednesday’s deadline.
It’s also possible that Iginla comes right back to Calgary this summer and signs with the Flames as a free agent.
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 0
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (45)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)