Mar 29, 2013, 4:36 PM EDT
To the surprise of nobody, the Calgary Flames will not be naming a new captain to replace Jarome Iginla before the end of the season.
“I told [the team's four assistants] that we would not name a captain until the summer,” head coach Bob Hartley said today. “I told them they had done an unbelievable job with Jarome, but from now on we will go with a rotation of three assistants per game.”
Who gets the ‘C’ this summer will be a matter of some debate. It’s possible, after all, that one or more of the four assistants may follow Iginla out the door in a trade by Wednesday’s deadline.
It’s also possible that Iginla comes right back to Calgary this summer and signs with the Flames as a free agent.
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 14
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 29
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 29
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 53
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)