Mar 29, 2013, 4:36 PM EDT
To the surprise of nobody, the Calgary Flames will not be naming a new captain to replace Jarome Iginla before the end of the season.
“I told [the team's four assistants] that we would not name a captain until the summer,” head coach Bob Hartley said today. “I told them they had done an unbelievable job with Jarome, but from now on we will go with a rotation of three assistants per game.”
Who gets the ‘C’ this summer will be a matter of some debate. It’s possible, after all, that one or more of the four assistants may follow Iginla out the door in a trade by Wednesday’s deadline.
It’s also possible that Iginla comes right back to Calgary this summer and signs with the Flames as a free agent.
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 8
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 6
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 27
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 44
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 20