Mar 29, 2013, 10:17 PM EDT
Lubomir Visnovsky was a pending unrestricted free agent, but will not hit the open market this summer.
There was initially a report that the defenseman could re-sign with the New York Islanders in the next few days, according to Arthur Staple of Long Island Newsday.
Not long after posting that story on Twitter, Staple followed up with this:
The Islanders made it official on their website later Friday evening.
It is a two-year deal, although terms of the deal were not disclosed by the Islanders.
Visnovsky was in the final year of a five-year, $28 million contract. He’s currently a cap hit of $5.6 million.
Visnovsky, who turns 37 years of age in August, has three goals and nine points in 22 games this season, his first with the Islanders.
The Islanders, meanwhile, continue to battle for a post-season spot. They sit ninth right now.
They have won three games in a row, and are tied in points at 35 with their rivals, the eighth-place New York Rangers.
The Rangers do hold the current tiebreaker, with fewer games played.
- Gillis won’t say if Tortorella’s lost Canucks room 13
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 4
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 29
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 18
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 60
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (73)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)