Mar 29, 2013, 5:37 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings have landed prized college free agent defenseman Dan Dekeyser, the club announced today.
A Michigan native, DeKeyser (6-foot-3, 200 lbs) was playing college hockey for the Western Michigan Broncos prior to agreeing to terms on a two-year deal with the Wings. He had two goals and 15 points this season.
DeKeyser, 23, will practice with his new NHL club tomorrow, though he won’t play Sunday or Monday.
“We’re happy,” said Wings general manager Ken Holland. “You’re always looking for defenseman, and this guy is rangy, mobile.”
Holland added: “He’ll be with us the rest of the regular season. When he plays is up to Mike Babcock, but we’re not holding tryouts. We’re trying to make the playoffs. Danny understands that we’re in a playoff race.”
Following is a scouting report from last year on DeKeyser courtesy Red Line Report (via the Edmonton Journal):
He plays a simple, defense first, stay-at-home game. DeKeyser is also highly mobile and a strong all-compass skater. He’s not flashy at the offensive end, but moves the puck well and gets it to the right spots by making good decisions. Efficiently gets the puck out of the zone with crisp outlets. He’s physical and wins the battles down low, keeps the crease clear, and plays with a bit of a nasty edge. He’s an outstanding penalty killer who blocks a ton of shots.
DeKeyser has been named the CCHA’s best defensive defenseman the last two seasons.
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 35
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 45
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 32
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 27
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 25
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 50
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 35