Mar 29, 2013, 5:37 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings have landed prized college free agent defenseman Dan Dekeyser, the club announced today.
A Michigan native, DeKeyser (6-foot-3, 200 lbs) was playing college hockey for the Western Michigan Broncos prior to agreeing to terms on a two-year deal with the Wings. He had two goals and 15 points this season.
DeKeyser, 23, will practice with his new NHL club tomorrow, though he won’t play Sunday or Monday.
“We’re happy,” said Wings general manager Ken Holland. “You’re always looking for defenseman, and this guy is rangy, mobile.”
Holland added: “He’ll be with us the rest of the regular season. When he plays is up to Mike Babcock, but we’re not holding tryouts. We’re trying to make the playoffs. Danny understands that we’re in a playoff race.”
Following is a scouting report from last year on DeKeyser courtesy Red Line Report (via the Edmonton Journal):
He plays a simple, defense first, stay-at-home game. DeKeyser is also highly mobile and a strong all-compass skater. He’s not flashy at the offensive end, but moves the puck well and gets it to the right spots by making good decisions. Efficiently gets the puck out of the zone with crisp outlets. He’s physical and wins the battles down low, keeps the crease clear, and plays with a bit of a nasty edge. He’s an outstanding penalty killer who blocks a ton of shots.
DeKeyser has been named the CCHA’s best defensive defenseman the last two seasons.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 39
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)