Mar 29, 2013, 6:27 PM EST
The Edmonton Oilers and Phoenix Coyotes made a trade on Friday, but a bigger ticket guy like Ales Hemsky wasn’t involved. Instead, the two teams swapped prospects who might take some time to make an impact on the big clubs – if they end up even doing so.
The Oilers receive Kale Kessy (pictured), a 6-foot-3 forward who’s averaged at least 123 PIM the previous three seasons and has 106 in 60 games this season. He’s picked up his offensive play a bit in his latest WHL campaign, collecting 43 points between time with the Medicine Hat Tigers, Vancouver Giants and Kamloops Blazers.
Meanwhile, the Coyotes get some finesse for their troubles in the form of Tobias Rieder. The German winger took a step back statistically in 2012-13, dropping from 84 points to just 56 with the OHL’s Kitchener Rangers. Still, he was a point-per-game player, so Phoenix might hope that he can eventually help them on offense.
Interestingly, Kessy was the 111th overall pick of the 2011 NHL Draft, going just three picks before Rieder.
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 21
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) 36
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 58
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 33
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 56
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 165
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (165)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand (61)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)