Mar 29, 2013, 6:27 PM EST
The Edmonton Oilers and Phoenix Coyotes made a trade on Friday, but a bigger ticket guy like Ales Hemsky wasn’t involved. Instead, the two teams swapped prospects who might take some time to make an impact on the big clubs – if they end up even doing so.
The Oilers receive Kale Kessy (pictured), a 6-foot-3 forward who’s averaged at least 123 PIM the previous three seasons and has 106 in 60 games this season. He’s picked up his offensive play a bit in his latest WHL campaign, collecting 43 points between time with the Medicine Hat Tigers, Vancouver Giants and Kamloops Blazers.
Meanwhile, the Coyotes get some finesse for their troubles in the form of Tobias Rieder. The German winger took a step back statistically in 2012-13, dropping from 84 points to just 56 with the OHL’s Kitchener Rangers. Still, he was a point-per-game player, so Phoenix might hope that he can eventually help them on offense.
Interestingly, Kessy was the 111th overall pick of the 2011 NHL Draft, going just three picks before Rieder.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)