Mar 29, 2013, 6:27 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers and Phoenix Coyotes made a trade on Friday, but a bigger ticket guy like Ales Hemsky wasn’t involved. Instead, the two teams swapped prospects who might take some time to make an impact on the big clubs – if they end up even doing so.
The Oilers receive Kale Kessy (pictured), a 6-foot-3 forward who’s averaged at least 123 PIM the previous three seasons and has 106 in 60 games this season. He’s picked up his offensive play a bit in his latest WHL campaign, collecting 43 points between time with the Medicine Hat Tigers, Vancouver Giants and Kamloops Blazers.
Meanwhile, the Coyotes get some finesse for their troubles in the form of Tobias Rieder. The German winger took a step back statistically in 2012-13, dropping from 84 points to just 56 with the OHL’s Kitchener Rangers. Still, he was a point-per-game player, so Phoenix might hope that he can eventually help them on offense.
Interestingly, Kessy was the 111th overall pick of the 2011 NHL Draft, going just three picks before Rieder.
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 13
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 3
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 26
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)