Mar 29, 2013, 6:27 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers and Phoenix Coyotes made a trade on Friday, but a bigger ticket guy like Ales Hemsky wasn’t involved. Instead, the two teams swapped prospects who might take some time to make an impact on the big clubs – if they end up even doing so.
The Oilers receive Kale Kessy (pictured), a 6-foot-3 forward who’s averaged at least 123 PIM the previous three seasons and has 106 in 60 games this season. He’s picked up his offensive play a bit in his latest WHL campaign, collecting 43 points between time with the Medicine Hat Tigers, Vancouver Giants and Kamloops Blazers.
Meanwhile, the Coyotes get some finesse for their troubles in the form of Tobias Rieder. The German winger took a step back statistically in 2012-13, dropping from 84 points to just 56 with the OHL’s Kitchener Rangers. Still, he was a point-per-game player, so Phoenix might hope that he can eventually help them on offense.
Interestingly, Kessy was the 111th overall pick of the 2011 NHL Draft, going just three picks before Rieder.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 46
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 68
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)