Mar 29, 2013, 3:00 PM EST
Peters, who was playing in his 35th career NHL contests, allowed four goals on 34 shots in Carolina’s seventh straight loss on Thursday.
“The bottom line is this: we didn’t get the saves,” Hurricanes coach Kirk Muller told NHL.com. “We didn’t get the saves at the right time and it cost us.”
Ellis (leg) might be back in the not too distant future, but Cam Ward is likely still weeks away from returning from a sprained MCL. There’s no guarantee Ward will even return this season, but even if he does, it might be too late for the Hurricanes’ playoff chances.
At the moment, they’re three points shy of eighth place, so all hope isn’t lost. With that in mind, wouldn’t it make sense for the Hurricanes to add some short-term depth to their goaltending situation?
Trading for a veteran netminder on the final season of his contract could prove to be the difference between Carolina making and missing the postseason. One prime candidate is 40-year-old Nikolai Khabibulin.
Devan Dubnyk has firmly established himself as the Edmonton Oilers’ starting goaltender at this point, but Khabibulin has a 2.30 GAA and .930 save percentage in eight games this season. He could provide the Hurricanes with some much-needed relief.
When Ellis returns, the two netminders could split the starting duties and Khabibulin would serve as an insurance policy in the playoffs should Carolina get that far.
The Hurricanes might have some competition for Khabibulin though. The Toronto Maple Leafs, for example, are reportedly interested in adding a veteran goaltender, although they might ultimately decide on a more long-term option.
The Hurricanes only have a matter of days to decide before the April 3 deadline, and the way they’ve been playing lately, you could argue they need to act immediately.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)