Mar 29, 2013, 9:57 AM EDT
The NHL might announce the relocation of the franchise before the playoffs, but that doesn’t mean they’ve given up on the idea of keeping the team in Glendale.
It was recently reported that AltaCorp Capital chairman and CEO George Gosbee has emerged as a prospective bidder. Gosbee is reportedly working with Anthony LeBlanc, who has previously been involved in the Coyotes’ ownership saga, in the hopes that they’ll have a proposal to show the NHL soon.
Although NHL commissioner Gary Bettman hasn’t confirmed Gosbee’s involvement, he did inform Glendale Mayor Jerry Weiers that a group of investors are close to acting, according to the Arizona Republic.
“I have been in contact with the NHL and they basically told me that they expect to have something to put on the table in the next week or so, but as of right now, I’ve seen nothing and have heard nothing,” Weiers said.
Meanwhile the Glendale City Council has reached out to Beacon Sports Capital Partners to get bids from management companies interested in handling the city’s negotiations with prospective Coyotes buyers and running the Jobing.com Arena.
This creates a potential race because it raises the possibility of an independent management firm taking over the Coyotes’ home before a potential Coyotes’ buyer does.
“There has to be some process that we need to begin or else we will be perpetually waiting for the proverbial deal to come home,” Assistant City Manager Jamsheed Mehta said.
So, as always, we’ll see what happens next.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)