Mar 29, 2013, 9:57 AM EDT
The NHL might announce the relocation of the franchise before the playoffs, but that doesn’t mean they’ve given up on the idea of keeping the team in Glendale.
It was recently reported that AltaCorp Capital chairman and CEO George Gosbee has emerged as a prospective bidder. Gosbee is reportedly working with Anthony LeBlanc, who has previously been involved in the Coyotes’ ownership saga, in the hopes that they’ll have a proposal to show the NHL soon.
Although NHL commissioner Gary Bettman hasn’t confirmed Gosbee’s involvement, he did inform Glendale Mayor Jerry Weiers that a group of investors are close to acting, according to the Arizona Republic.
“I have been in contact with the NHL and they basically told me that they expect to have something to put on the table in the next week or so, but as of right now, I’ve seen nothing and have heard nothing,” Weiers said.
Meanwhile the Glendale City Council has reached out to Beacon Sports Capital Partners to get bids from management companies interested in handling the city’s negotiations with prospective Coyotes buyers and running the Jobing.com Arena.
This creates a potential race because it raises the possibility of an independent management firm taking over the Coyotes’ home before a potential Coyotes’ buyer does.
“There has to be some process that we need to begin or else we will be perpetually waiting for the proverbial deal to come home,” Assistant City Manager Jamsheed Mehta said.
So, as always, we’ll see what happens next.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)