Mar 29, 2013, 9:57 AM EDT
The NHL might announce the relocation of the franchise before the playoffs, but that doesn’t mean they’ve given up on the idea of keeping the team in Glendale.
It was recently reported that AltaCorp Capital chairman and CEO George Gosbee has emerged as a prospective bidder. Gosbee is reportedly working with Anthony LeBlanc, who has previously been involved in the Coyotes’ ownership saga, in the hopes that they’ll have a proposal to show the NHL soon.
Although NHL commissioner Gary Bettman hasn’t confirmed Gosbee’s involvement, he did inform Glendale Mayor Jerry Weiers that a group of investors are close to acting, according to the Arizona Republic.
“I have been in contact with the NHL and they basically told me that they expect to have something to put on the table in the next week or so, but as of right now, I’ve seen nothing and have heard nothing,” Weiers said.
Meanwhile the Glendale City Council has reached out to Beacon Sports Capital Partners to get bids from management companies interested in handling the city’s negotiations with prospective Coyotes buyers and running the Jobing.com Arena.
This creates a potential race because it raises the possibility of an independent management firm taking over the Coyotes’ home before a potential Coyotes’ buyer does.
“There has to be some process that we need to begin or else we will be perpetually waiting for the proverbial deal to come home,” Assistant City Manager Jamsheed Mehta said.
So, as always, we’ll see what happens next.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 2
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 12
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 53
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 19
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 16
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)