Mar 29, 2013, 12:53 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins were looking like a serious Cup contender a week ago. Then they added Brenden Morrow, Douglas Murray, and Jarome Iginla and now they appear to be, at least on paper, the clear Stanley Cup favorites.
Of course, the New Jersey Devils have seen some of those. As the sixth seed last season they had to get past Cup favorites to get to the actual Finals where they faced an eighth seed Los Angeles Kings team that dispatched a number of highly regarded teams too.
“I think last year’s a good example of why you play the playoffs,” Devils coach Pete DeBoer said in a Bergen Record report.
The Devils won’t be able to match Pittsburgh star-for-star in a playoff series, but DeBoer argues that “there’s a lot of intangibles.”
That’s not to say that New Jersey is assuming that Pittsburgh will collapse under the weight of expectations or the trades will upset the Penguins’ chemistry. The Devils just think that they’re competitive regardless of the Penguins’ moves.
Part of the reason for that confidence is because adversity has brought them closer together. They’re working through Ilya Kovalchuk‘s shoulder injury now and had to endure a rough patch without Martin Brodeur. Not to mention people being down on the Devils from the beginning of the season after they lost Zach Parise as a free agent.
“You’ve got to be careful about picking favorites,” Devils captain Bryce Salvador said. “The thing about hockey is it’s a team game, so it’s whoever’s going to be hot and whoever’s going at the right time there at the end. As we saw last year, that’s what really matters.”
Sep 21, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
Columbus looking at options with Johansen not at camp.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:36 PM EDT
The restricted free agent seems to be at an impasse with Columbus.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
Devils GM Lou Lamoriello said he’s “fine,” but he initially said the same of Clowe when the player had a concussion.
Sep 20, 2014, 10:05 PM EDT
The knee injury he sustained during the lockout shortened season might be partially to blame for his struggles.
Sep 20, 2014, 9:07 PM EDT
That’s after years of being the center of a goaltending controversy in Vancouver.
Sep 20, 2014, 8:09 PM EDT
Can they be the first repeat winners since Detroit in 1997-98?
Sep 20, 2014, 7:03 PM EDT
He was asked how he would have handled the Ray Rice situation.
Sep 20, 2014, 6:07 PM EDT
Do Thornton and Marleau disagree with coach Todd McLellan on this point?
Sep 20, 2014, 5:05 PM EDT
It’s his first chance to provide his argument for why he should make the team.
Sep 20, 2014, 4:08 PM EDT
Tough timing for him as he had been playing alongside fellow countryman David Krejci.
Sep 20, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Optimistic about sticking with the big club out of camp.
Sep 20, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Listed as day-to-day.
Sep 20, 2014, 2:13 PM EDT
Expected to miss a couple days according to Randy Carlyle.
Sep 20, 2014, 1:39 PM EDT
Discussions regarding deal are on-going.
Sep 20, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
Experimentation process has begun as team looks for secondary scoring.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
Stars searching for a suitable No. 2 behind Kari Lehtonen.
Sep 20, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
After playing in just 16 games in 2013-14, he’s looking to be a contributor this season.
Sep 20, 2014, 9:46 AM EDT
Undrafted defenseman looking to make an impression at camp.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets would settle for far less after he scored just 19 last season.
Sep 19, 2014, 10:03 PM EDT
The last thing he wants is to suffer a setback by rushing his recovery.
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 16
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)