Mar 29, 2013, 7:24 PM EDT
New head coach Jon Cooper isn’t the only one making his debut for the Tampa Bay Lightning on Friday. The Tampa Tribune’s Erik Erlendsson reports that towering defenseman Andrej Sustr will play his first NHL game as the Bolts face the New Jersey Devils.
The Bolts just recently signed the 6-foot-8 blueliner from the University of Nebraksa-Omaha (UNO).
Erlendsson reports that he’ll be one of seven defensemen dressed for tonight’s game, so it’s possible that he might not get a ton of ice time.
Considering how slim the team’s playoff hopes seem, it’s at least something to watch for … along with how their new coach fares.
(Sustr photo via UNO’s Web site.)
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 17
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)