Mar 29, 2013, 7:24 PM EDT
New head coach Jon Cooper isn’t the only one making his debut for the Tampa Bay Lightning on Friday. The Tampa Tribune’s Erik Erlendsson reports that towering defenseman Andrej Sustr will play his first NHL game as the Bolts face the New Jersey Devils.
The Bolts just recently signed the 6-foot-8 blueliner from the University of Nebraksa-Omaha (UNO).
Erlendsson reports that he’ll be one of seven defensemen dressed for tonight’s game, so it’s possible that he might not get a ton of ice time.
Considering how slim the team’s playoff hopes seem, it’s at least something to watch for … along with how their new coach fares.
(Sustr photo via UNO’s Web site.)
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 16
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)