Mar 28, 2013, 4:29 PM EDT
The NHL’s trade deadline is Wednesday, April 3. Following is a player that may be moved. For more “Trade Bait,” click here.
Thursday in Nashville, Steve Sullivan will play his 1,000th regular-season game in the NHL.
It’s been quite the career for the diminutive center, now 38 years old, who was a long shot to make it in the world’s best league.
In 1994, Sullivan was drafted 233rd overall by the Devils. Around two decades later — and throw in some serious back issues along the way — he’s still at it.
Sullivan’s production has fallen to just 12 points in 30 games this season, his first with the Coyotes. But with a number of teams in the market for a center, it’s possibly he could be on the move prior to next week’s deadline.
Sullivan is a pending unrestricted free agent on a one-year, $2.6 million contract.
Will Phoenix be a seller at the deadline?
Well, the Coyotes lost again last night, blowing a late lead to the Wild and falling 4-3 in overtime. Phoenix now sits 13th in the Western Conference, five points back of a playoff spot, with only 15 games remaining.
According to Sports Club Stats, the Coyotes have a 5.5% chance of making the playoffs.
So to answer the question: yes, they’ll probably be sellers.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 23
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)