Mar 28, 2013, 9:55 AM EST
The NHL’s trade deadline is Wednesday, April 3. Following is a player that may be moved. For more “Trade Bait,” click here.
Robyn Regehr is about as likely a candidate to be traded as any.
The Buffalo Sabres chances of making the playoffs are pretty slim at this point and the 32-year-old defenseman will be an unrestricted free agent this summer. Unless he decides to exercise his no-movement clause, it wouldn’t be surprising to see him finish the season in a different uniform.
Regehr was never a big contributor offensively, but he’s been even worse in that regard since he’s gotten to Buffalo. In 102 games with the Sabres, he has a single goal and six points.
Still, the Brazilian-born blueliner is likely to attract suitors because of his physical style of play. Going into the 2013 season, Regehr had recorded 352 hits and 254 blocked shots over his previous two campaigns.
That kind of gritty play is often critical in the playoffs.
So who might go for him? The Los Angeles Kings, who are still missing defensemen Willie Mitchell (knee) and Matt Greene (back), might pursue him. Such a move would reunite Regehr with his former coach and GM, Darryl Sutter. That being said, there aren’t a shortage of teams that could use a defensive defenseman capable of playing top-four minutes.
It’s worth noting that fellow Sabres defenseman Jordan Leopold is also scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent this summer. Leopold isn’t as physical of a player, but he has shown a willingness to block shots and can do a bit more offensively.
Buffalo might be open to trading both blueliners within the next week.
Feb 28, 2015, 11:15 AM EST
Was acquired Thursday from Toronto.
Feb 28, 2015, 10:30 AM EST
Ottawa’s GM confirms he had talks with Toronto.
Feb 28, 2015, 9:45 AM EST
New York has won four straight overall coming in.
Feb 28, 2015, 1:02 AM EST
L.A. played the night before.
Feb 28, 2015, 12:07 AM EST
Lost to Carolina on Friday.
Feb 27, 2015, 11:17 PM EST
He was traded from Philadelphia to Chicago on Friday.
Feb 27, 2015, 10:34 PM EST
Meanwhile, Calgary’s playoff hopes take another hit.
Feb 27, 2015, 9:56 PM EST
Important win for Boston.
Feb 27, 2015, 9:37 PM EST
Feb 27, 2015, 9:19 PM EST
Should be interesting.
Feb 27, 2015, 8:31 PM EST
Another day, another trade.
Feb 27, 2015, 8:25 PM EST
Pascal Dupuis recently opened up about his condition.
Feb 27, 2015, 7:30 PM EST
The Habs host the Maple Leafs on Saturday.
Feb 27, 2015, 6:37 PM EST
That’s according to multiple reports.
Feb 27, 2015, 6:28 PM EST
Trade deadline is Monday, by the way.
Feb 27, 2015, 5:25 PM EST
Was aiming to play Saturday versus the Rangers.
Feb 27, 2015, 4:34 PM EST
GM Doug Wilson has some decisions to make…
Feb 27, 2015, 3:17 PM EST
So says NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly.
Feb 27, 2015, 3:04 PM EST
Some recommended reading to pass along.
Feb 27, 2015, 2:20 PM EST
Incident occurred during last night’s San Jose-Detroit game.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 3
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 6
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 9
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 25
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)