Mar 28, 2013, 9:55 AM EDT
The NHL’s trade deadline is Wednesday, April 3. Following is a player that may be moved. For more “Trade Bait,” click here.
Robyn Regehr is about as likely a candidate to be traded as any.
The Buffalo Sabres chances of making the playoffs are pretty slim at this point and the 32-year-old defenseman will be an unrestricted free agent this summer. Unless he decides to exercise his no-movement clause, it wouldn’t be surprising to see him finish the season in a different uniform.
Regehr was never a big contributor offensively, but he’s been even worse in that regard since he’s gotten to Buffalo. In 102 games with the Sabres, he has a single goal and six points.
Still, the Brazilian-born blueliner is likely to attract suitors because of his physical style of play. Going into the 2013 season, Regehr had recorded 352 hits and 254 blocked shots over his previous two campaigns.
That kind of gritty play is often critical in the playoffs.
So who might go for him? The Los Angeles Kings, who are still missing defensemen Willie Mitchell (knee) and Matt Greene (back), might pursue him. Such a move would reunite Regehr with his former coach and GM, Darryl Sutter. That being said, there aren’t a shortage of teams that could use a defensive defenseman capable of playing top-four minutes.
It’s worth noting that fellow Sabres defenseman Jordan Leopold is also scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent this summer. Leopold isn’t as physical of a player, but he has shown a willingness to block shots and can do a bit more offensively.
Buffalo might be open to trading both blueliners within the next week.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 3
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 10
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)