Mar 28, 2013, 9:55 AM EDT
The NHL’s trade deadline is Wednesday, April 3. Following is a player that may be moved. For more “Trade Bait,” click here.
Robyn Regehr is about as likely a candidate to be traded as any.
The Buffalo Sabres chances of making the playoffs are pretty slim at this point and the 32-year-old defenseman will be an unrestricted free agent this summer. Unless he decides to exercise his no-movement clause, it wouldn’t be surprising to see him finish the season in a different uniform.
Regehr was never a big contributor offensively, but he’s been even worse in that regard since he’s gotten to Buffalo. In 102 games with the Sabres, he has a single goal and six points.
Still, the Brazilian-born blueliner is likely to attract suitors because of his physical style of play. Going into the 2013 season, Regehr had recorded 352 hits and 254 blocked shots over his previous two campaigns.
That kind of gritty play is often critical in the playoffs.
So who might go for him? The Los Angeles Kings, who are still missing defensemen Willie Mitchell (knee) and Matt Greene (back), might pursue him. Such a move would reunite Regehr with his former coach and GM, Darryl Sutter. That being said, there aren’t a shortage of teams that could use a defensive defenseman capable of playing top-four minutes.
It’s worth noting that fellow Sabres defenseman Jordan Leopold is also scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent this summer. Leopold isn’t as physical of a player, but he has shown a willingness to block shots and can do a bit more offensively.
Buffalo might be open to trading both blueliners within the next week.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 5
- Five big games to watch this weekend 6
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 33
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 55
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (55)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)