Mar 28, 2013, 11:34 PM EST
The NHL’s trade deadline is Wednesday, April 3. Following is a player that may be moved. For more “Trade Bait,” click here.
Through good times and (mostly) bad, Martin St. Louis has been a go-to guy for the Tampa Bay Lightning. With that and in his sustained brilliance in mind, various outlets indicate that he’ll only be traded if that’s what he wants.
As the league’s fourth-place point producer at 42 points, St. Louis would likely draw heavy attention from the trade deadline’s buyers – even if there are always those complaints about his size and age (37).
The Boston Globe’s Kevin Paul Dupont placed the sweet playmaker on the top of his post-Jarome Iginla wish list alongside San Jose Sharks defenseman Dan Boyle. Sportsnet’s Jason York also mentioned the New York Rangers as a potential suitor, which would make sense since St. Louis enjoyed his greatest moments while being coached by John Tortorella.
Considering the downright grim times St. Louis has been through with Tampa Bay, it wouldn’t be shocking if he insisted to stay put.
Still, his advanced age at least begs the question.
He brings the added benefit of being more than a rental, too. The diminutive forward’s friendly contract carries just a $5.625 million cap hit through 2014-15.
Then again, that term might hurt the odds of him joining the Bruins (who will join the Lightning in a realigned division next season). It’s one thing to rent a hero to a team in another conference when he only has a few months left on his deal. If the Lightning trade St. Louis to Boston, they might have to watch him set up guys like Tyler Seguin instead of Steven Stamkos for two full seasons.
With the big Iginla fish already captured, it’s fun to at least imagine guys like St. Louis going. Especially since you can argue that he has just as much – if not more – to offer in a smaller package.
Mar 4, 2015, 6:50 PM EST
“It’s definitely an issue that needs a collective focus from our managers and the league in terms of how to deal with it.”
Mar 4, 2015, 6:18 PM EST
“It’s probably undeniable that down the road when [Chara] is done with his career, if Bergeron is here it would be pretty hard to not make him the next captain.”
Mar 4, 2015, 5:30 PM EST
An Original Six matchup at the Joe.
Mar 4, 2015, 4:43 PM EST
Has appeared in just three games for the Blue Jackets since being traded from Toronto.
Mar 4, 2015, 4:13 PM EST
‘Hawks are hoping he can “recapture” his early-season form.
Mar 4, 2015, 3:32 PM EST
Hurt it in practice.
Mar 4, 2015, 3:04 PM EST
Another small crowd last night at BB&T Center.
Mar 4, 2015, 2:28 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 4, 2015, 2:09 PM EST
“You can never have too many d-men at this time of the year.”
Mar 4, 2015, 2:04 PM EST
Detroit captain draws in for the first time in four games.
Mar 4, 2015, 1:53 PM EST
Veteran tough guy hopeful to return by the playoffs.
Mar 4, 2015, 12:49 PM EST
Boyle and the Rangers take on Detroit (on NBCSN), Tanguay and the Avs will play Pittsburgh.
Mar 4, 2015, 12:34 PM EST
Just two wins in their last eight.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:56 AM EST
Incident occurred Tuesday night, on Stars defenseman Trevor Daley.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:55 AM EST
“Not the start I wanted or the team wanted, and I’ve got to be better than that.”
Mar 4, 2015, 11:48 AM EST
Anaheim hosts Montreal at Honda.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:15 AM EST
Both were viewed as candidates to be moved at the deadline, but neither got shipped out.
Mar 4, 2015, 10:36 AM EST
“We are very pleased and hope our fans will be, as well.”
Mar 4, 2015, 10:31 AM EST
He’s on his way up from AHL San Antonio.
Mar 4, 2015, 9:57 AM EST
It took him just 68 decisions.
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 18
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 33
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)