Mar 28, 2013, 11:34 PM EST
The NHL’s trade deadline is Wednesday, April 3. Following is a player that may be moved. For more “Trade Bait,” click here.
Through good times and (mostly) bad, Martin St. Louis has been a go-to guy for the Tampa Bay Lightning. With that and in his sustained brilliance in mind, various outlets indicate that he’ll only be traded if that’s what he wants.
As the league’s fourth-place point producer at 42 points, St. Louis would likely draw heavy attention from the trade deadline’s buyers – even if there are always those complaints about his size and age (37).
The Boston Globe’s Kevin Paul Dupont placed the sweet playmaker on the top of his post-Jarome Iginla wish list alongside San Jose Sharks defenseman Dan Boyle. Sportsnet’s Jason York also mentioned the New York Rangers as a potential suitor, which would make sense since St. Louis enjoyed his greatest moments while being coached by John Tortorella.
Considering the downright grim times St. Louis has been through with Tampa Bay, it wouldn’t be shocking if he insisted to stay put.
Still, his advanced age at least begs the question.
He brings the added benefit of being more than a rental, too. The diminutive forward’s friendly contract carries just a $5.625 million cap hit through 2014-15.
Then again, that term might hurt the odds of him joining the Bruins (who will join the Lightning in a realigned division next season). It’s one thing to rent a hero to a team in another conference when he only has a few months left on his deal. If the Lightning trade St. Louis to Boston, they might have to watch him set up guys like Tyler Seguin instead of Steven Stamkos for two full seasons.
With the big Iginla fish already captured, it’s fun to at least imagine guys like St. Louis going. Especially since you can argue that he has just as much – if not more – to offer in a smaller package.
Nov 27, 2014, 8:30 PM EST
Appeared to take the shot off his left knee. Will not return.
Nov 27, 2014, 7:30 PM EST
Struggled in the American Hockey League this season.
Nov 27, 2014, 6:30 PM EST
Expected to formally announce his retirement next Thursday morning.
Nov 27, 2014, 5:15 PM EST
Talented center would be a prized pickup at the deadline.
Nov 27, 2014, 4:00 PM EST
Patrick Roy doesn’t own part of a junior team anymore.
Nov 27, 2014, 2:41 PM EST
Incident occurred during Wednesday’s Jets-Sabres game.
Nov 27, 2014, 2:27 PM EST
Linden Vey gets back into the lineup for tomorrow’s game in Columbus.
Nov 27, 2014, 2:12 PM EST
Dallas forward has history as a repeat offender.
Nov 27, 2014, 2:03 PM EST
That’s a picture of Shawn Thornton, who doesn’t play for them anymore.
Nov 27, 2014, 1:59 PM EST
Just two goals in 20 games this year.
Nov 27, 2014, 1:16 PM EST
Devils currently sit 12th in the Eastern Conference.
Nov 27, 2014, 12:29 PM EST
Played in 14 games over parts of the last three seasons.
Nov 27, 2014, 12:17 PM EST
Following Tuesday’s “mind-numbing” change in Dallas.
Nov 27, 2014, 12:02 PM EST
Big boost for Nashville, who hosts Edmonton tonight.
Nov 27, 2014, 11:44 AM EST
That’s the feeling, at least.
Nov 27, 2014, 11:18 AM EST
Florida’s No. 1 left Wednesday’s game early.
Nov 27, 2014, 11:10 AM EST
Nov 27, 2014, 11:10 AM EST
Center had a career-high 18 goals and 39 points last year.
Nov 27, 2014, 10:59 AM EST
Not listed: glorious gluttony.
Nov 27, 2014, 9:58 AM EST
“It’s pretty easy to see things slipping away,” Steve Mason said.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)