Mar 28, 2013, 11:34 PM EDT
The NHL’s trade deadline is Wednesday, April 3. Following is a player that may be moved. For more “Trade Bait,” click here.
Through good times and (mostly) bad, Martin St. Louis has been a go-to guy for the Tampa Bay Lightning. With that and in his sustained brilliance in mind, various outlets indicate that he’ll only be traded if that’s what he wants.
As the league’s fourth-place point producer at 42 points, St. Louis would likely draw heavy attention from the trade deadline’s buyers – even if there are always those complaints about his size and age (37).
The Boston Globe’s Kevin Paul Dupont placed the sweet playmaker on the top of his post-Jarome Iginla wish list alongside San Jose Sharks defenseman Dan Boyle. Sportsnet’s Jason York also mentioned the New York Rangers as a potential suitor, which would make sense since St. Louis enjoyed his greatest moments while being coached by John Tortorella.
Considering the downright grim times St. Louis has been through with Tampa Bay, it wouldn’t be shocking if he insisted to stay put.
Still, his advanced age at least begs the question.
He brings the added benefit of being more than a rental, too. The diminutive forward’s friendly contract carries just a $5.625 million cap hit through 2014-15.
Then again, that term might hurt the odds of him joining the Bruins (who will join the Lightning in a realigned division next season). It’s one thing to rent a hero to a team in another conference when he only has a few months left on his deal. If the Lightning trade St. Louis to Boston, they might have to watch him set up guys like Tyler Seguin instead of Steven Stamkos for two full seasons.
With the big Iginla fish already captured, it’s fun to at least imagine guys like St. Louis going. Especially since you can argue that he has just as much – if not more – to offer in a smaller package.
May 3, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Both were at least some risk of missing Game 2.
May 3, 2015, 1:50 PM EDT
Still zero goals and just three assists for the star sniper.
May 3, 2015, 12:46 PM EDT
Blackhawks fans probably remember him.
May 3, 2015, 11:55 AM EDT
Brandon Saad: “We have to regroup, refocus and get the job done.”
May 3, 2015, 10:46 AM EDT
It’s unclear if this is injury-related.
May 3, 2015, 9:36 AM EDT
Three games for a pretty busy Sunday.
May 3, 2015, 12:30 AM EDT
Yeah, it was quite a goal from No. 8.
May 2, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
Didn’t waste time getting on the board in Game 2.
May 2, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
But it doesn’t sound like there will be a dramatic, sudden return.
May 2, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
“You only have one life, enjoy it.”
May 2, 2015, 7:59 PM EDT
Without a goal in this post-season.
May 2, 2015, 6:59 PM EDT
Minnesota almost completed the comeback in Game 1.
May 2, 2015, 5:43 PM EDT
“Since the voting period began, we’ve received an astounding 20.4 million votes…”
May 2, 2015, 5:05 PM EDT
The Caps were out-shot 15-4 and out-scored 2-0 in the opening 20.
May 2, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
Lundqvist made 30 saves as New York edged Washington 3-2 in Game 2.
May 2, 2015, 3:07 PM EDT
The highlight-reel goal pulls the Caps to within one.
May 2, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
He suffered a lower body injury on Friday.
May 2, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
Paperwork filed for environmental study.
May 2, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
One of four first period saves made by the Rangers’ starter.
May 2, 2015, 1:05 PM EDT
Opened the scoring 38 seconds in.
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 31
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 46
- Video: Lightning bolt to series lead on Kucherov’s double OT winner 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 8
- Report: BOG to vote on Vegas expansion in September 1
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits 102
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (102)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappointment as Wild advance (99)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)