Mar 28, 2013, 11:34 PM EDT
The NHL’s trade deadline is Wednesday, April 3. Following is a player that may be moved. For more “Trade Bait,” click here.
Through good times and (mostly) bad, Martin St. Louis has been a go-to guy for the Tampa Bay Lightning. With that and in his sustained brilliance in mind, various outlets indicate that he’ll only be traded if that’s what he wants.
As the league’s fourth-place point producer at 42 points, St. Louis would likely draw heavy attention from the trade deadline’s buyers – even if there are always those complaints about his size and age (37).
The Boston Globe’s Kevin Paul Dupont placed the sweet playmaker on the top of his post-Jarome Iginla wish list alongside San Jose Sharks defenseman Dan Boyle. Sportsnet’s Jason York also mentioned the New York Rangers as a potential suitor, which would make sense since St. Louis enjoyed his greatest moments while being coached by John Tortorella.
Considering the downright grim times St. Louis has been through with Tampa Bay, it wouldn’t be shocking if he insisted to stay put.
Still, his advanced age at least begs the question.
He brings the added benefit of being more than a rental, too. The diminutive forward’s friendly contract carries just a $5.625 million cap hit through 2014-15.
Then again, that term might hurt the odds of him joining the Bruins (who will join the Lightning in a realigned division next season). It’s one thing to rent a hero to a team in another conference when he only has a few months left on his deal. If the Lightning trade St. Louis to Boston, they might have to watch him set up guys like Tyler Seguin instead of Steven Stamkos for two full seasons.
With the big Iginla fish already captured, it’s fun to at least imagine guys like St. Louis going. Especially since you can argue that he has just as much – if not more – to offer in a smaller package.
Sep 22, 2014, 10:13 PM EDT
Mitts were dropped. Frequently.
Sep 22, 2014, 9:16 PM EDT
Good start for a guy on a two-way deal.
Sep 22, 2014, 8:29 PM EDT
Like Vancouver, for example.
Sep 22, 2014, 6:53 PM EDT
“We’ve got to wait to see how it heals.”
Sep 22, 2014, 5:53 PM EDT
He’s been unable to skate since camp started.
Sep 22, 2014, 5:11 PM EDT
“You grow up playing hockey and you’re thinking ‘oh, I just want to play the game, it’s so much fun.’ Then you realize it is your job.”
Sep 22, 2014, 4:49 PM EDT
But it “shouldn’t be a long-term, lingering thing.”
Sep 22, 2014, 3:41 PM EDT
Randy Carlyle is making some changes to the way Toronto defends.
Sep 22, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
Currently there are 16 teams in the East and 14 in the West.
Sep 22, 2014, 2:02 PM EDT
“I think it’s been terribly mishandled by the player and the agent.”
Sep 22, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
Meanwhile, Kurt Overhardt has a warning for the frustrated Blue Jackets management.
Sep 22, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
“We know he has a great shot and that’s a bonus for him.”
Sep 22, 2014, 12:11 PM EDT
But Peter Karmanos wants to retain control of the team.
Sep 22, 2014, 11:39 AM EDT
“It’s nice having a little more freedom, in that regard, especially for the creativity that’s on our team,” says Beau Bennett.
Sep 22, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT
“I think what we’re going to do as a team will be right up his alley.”
Sep 22, 2014, 10:02 AM EDT
He’ll get tougher assignments with Kimmo Timonen sidelined indefinitely.
Sep 22, 2014, 8:58 AM EDT
Colorado is counting on the duo to be very effective this season.
Sep 22, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Monday’s collection of links.
Sep 21, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT
Head coach Todd McLellan thinks he can play, at least.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT
“But sometimes you have to lose what you have to realize what you had.”
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)