Mar 28, 2013, 12:16 PM EST
In addition to a first-round pick in 2013, the Calgary Flames got two prospects from the Pittsburgh Penguins in the Jarome Iginla trade: Kenneth Agostino and Ben Hanowski.
If your first thought upon hearing those names was, ‘Who?’, then we’re here to help.
Agostino is a 20-year-old Yale University forward that was originally taken in the fifth round by the Pittsburgh Penguins. He’s spent three seasons in the NCAA since being selected in 2010 and his production has ticked up each season.
He had 15 goals, 37 points, and 32 penalty minutes in 33 games in 2012-13. He’s a competitive player that battles in dirty areas, according to Hockey’s Future. They think he has enough upside to maybe become a second-liner in the NHL someday, although they have doubts about the likelihood of him ever reaching his full potential.
Ben Hanowski, 22, is a similar story in terms of upside and his probability of success. The Pittsburgh Penguins selected him in the third round of the 2009 NHL Entry Draft.
Hanowski broke out last season with 24 goals and 43 points in 39 games with St. Cloud State. He hasn’t been as productive in 2012-13, posting 16 goals and 29 points in 34 NCAA contests.
As you might guess, Hanowski is an offensive forward who has shown an ability to both find the back of the net and play in more of a setup role when the situation calls for it.
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 55
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 35
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 12