Mar 28, 2013, 9:01 AM EST
It took some time for the new-and-improved Minnesota Wild to find their groove, but they certainly seem to have lately. Minnesota extended its winning streak to seven games with a 4-3 overtime victory at home against the Phoenix Coyotes on Wednesday.
They wouldn’t have prolonged the streak without some last-minute dramatics. Wild defenseman Ryan Suter, who now has points in 12 of his last 15 games, found the back of the net with 54.3 seconds remaining in regulation time.
Minnesota captain Mikko Koivu assisted on that goal and went on to net the game-winner in overtime.
“I don’t know if we would have handled this as well, trailing in the third period, at the beginning of the season,” Wild coach Mike Yeo said in a Star Tribune report. “I just don’t think we played a good game, but we found a way to win.”
Minnesota is competing with the Vancouver Canucks for the Northwest Division lead. Both teams have 42 points, but the Canucks have played in 33 games to the Wild’s 32.
Meanwhile, the Coyotes’ free fall continues. Although they did still end up with a consolation point, the Coyotes have now lost seven games in a row and are five points behind the eighth seed San Jose Sharks.
“We’re right at the cliff as far as I’m concerned,” Coyotes Don Maloney recently warned. “If we slide much further, all bets are off. We’re going to go out and find assets. This is reality.”
In other words, if the Coyotes don’t start winning immediately, they’ll become sellers. As it is, Maloney might already be convinced that trading for prospects, picks, and youngsters is his best bet.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)