Mar 28, 2013, 9:01 AM EDT
It took some time for the new-and-improved Minnesota Wild to find their groove, but they certainly seem to have lately. Minnesota extended its winning streak to seven games with a 4-3 overtime victory at home against the Phoenix Coyotes on Wednesday.
They wouldn’t have prolonged the streak without some last-minute dramatics. Wild defenseman Ryan Suter, who now has points in 12 of his last 15 games, found the back of the net with 54.3 seconds remaining in regulation time.
Minnesota captain Mikko Koivu assisted on that goal and went on to net the game-winner in overtime.
“I don’t know if we would have handled this as well, trailing in the third period, at the beginning of the season,” Wild coach Mike Yeo said in a Star Tribune report. “I just don’t think we played a good game, but we found a way to win.”
Minnesota is competing with the Vancouver Canucks for the Northwest Division lead. Both teams have 42 points, but the Canucks have played in 33 games to the Wild’s 32.
Meanwhile, the Coyotes’ free fall continues. Although they did still end up with a consolation point, the Coyotes have now lost seven games in a row and are five points behind the eighth seed San Jose Sharks.
“We’re right at the cliff as far as I’m concerned,” Coyotes Don Maloney recently warned. “If we slide much further, all bets are off. We’re going to go out and find assets. This is reality.”
In other words, if the Coyotes don’t start winning immediately, they’ll become sellers. As it is, Maloney might already be convinced that trading for prospects, picks, and youngsters is his best bet.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 37
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 31
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 26
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 16
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 2
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 53
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 29
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)