Mar 28, 2013, 9:01 AM EDT
It took some time for the new-and-improved Minnesota Wild to find their groove, but they certainly seem to have lately. Minnesota extended its winning streak to seven games with a 4-3 overtime victory at home against the Phoenix Coyotes on Wednesday.
They wouldn’t have prolonged the streak without some last-minute dramatics. Wild defenseman Ryan Suter, who now has points in 12 of his last 15 games, found the back of the net with 54.3 seconds remaining in regulation time.
Minnesota captain Mikko Koivu assisted on that goal and went on to net the game-winner in overtime.
“I don’t know if we would have handled this as well, trailing in the third period, at the beginning of the season,” Wild coach Mike Yeo said in a Star Tribune report. “I just don’t think we played a good game, but we found a way to win.”
Minnesota is competing with the Vancouver Canucks for the Northwest Division lead. Both teams have 42 points, but the Canucks have played in 33 games to the Wild’s 32.
Meanwhile, the Coyotes’ free fall continues. Although they did still end up with a consolation point, the Coyotes have now lost seven games in a row and are five points behind the eighth seed San Jose Sharks.
“We’re right at the cliff as far as I’m concerned,” Coyotes Don Maloney recently warned. “If we slide much further, all bets are off. We’re going to go out and find assets. This is reality.”
In other words, if the Coyotes don’t start winning immediately, they’ll become sellers. As it is, Maloney might already be convinced that trading for prospects, picks, and youngsters is his best bet.
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 6
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (59)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)