Mar 28, 2013, 3:58 PM EDT
Mark Letestu is close to re-signing a multi-year contract extension with the Blue Jackets, according to Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch.
Letestu is a pending unrestricted free agent.
The 28-year-old center is tied for second in team scoring with seven goals and nine assists (16 points) in 31 games. In addition to providing some much-needed offense, he also spends a good deal of time on the Jackets’ fifth-ranked penalty kill.
Given the scarcity of centers in the NHL, it wouldn’t be surprising to hear the Jackets had been fielding trade inquiries about Letestu.
Those calls, if they were coming, may stop soon though.
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 4
- Video: Filppula, Stamkos score two big goals for Bolts 0
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 9
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 31
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 54
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)