Mar 28, 2013, 2:59 AM EST
It was big news when the Pittsburgh Penguins picked up forward Brenden Morrow from the Dallas Stars on Sunday.
It was also big news when the Penguins acquired defenseman Douglas Murray from the San Jose Sharks on Monday.
Then, the hockey world found out that the Penguins acquired Jarome Iginla from the Calgary Flames in exchange for prospects Ben Hanowski, Kenny Agostino and a 2013 first-round draft pick. Depending on which part of the continent you reside, the deal could’ve come down early Thursday morning or late Wednesday night.
It doesn’t really matter. It’s perhaps the biggest trade of 2013.
Oh, and the Penguins have Sidney Crosby, the league’s leading scorer with 54 points in 34 games. In the last few days, the Penguins have gone from a very good team to the heavy favorites to win the Eastern Conference.
“What are you supposed to say, that we’re not all in?” Penguins general manager Ray Shero told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
“Yeah, we’re all in. We want to win.”
The Penguins are 26-8-0 and their 52 points is good enough for top spot in the Eastern Conference, five points up on the Montreal Canadiens.
It’s not all good news in Pittsburgh, however.
“Marc-Andre Fleury is continuing to get evaluated today,” Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma told NHL.com.
“There’s not any more information in that regard. He’s not been ruled out to be the backup (Thursday) as of yet.”
Dec 18, 2013, 10:05 PM EST
Dec 18, 2013, 9:41 PM EST
It’s not a concussion.
Dec 18, 2013, 9:02 PM EST
Could the World Junior tournament be next?
Dec 18, 2013, 8:52 PM EST
Dec 18, 2013, 8:38 PM EST
Veteran forward had been playing in AHL Grand Rapids.
Dec 18, 2013, 8:29 PM EST
Should be the first of many, based on his junior career.
Dec 18, 2013, 7:57 PM EST
He hasn’t played since Nov. 30.
Dec 18, 2013, 7:17 PM EST
“It is home.”
Dec 18, 2013, 6:56 PM EST
Plans are for him to rejoin the team in Winnipeg on Dec. 27.
Dec 18, 2013, 6:27 PM EST
“If they’re waiting for a coaching change, they’re going to be waiting a long time.”
Dec 18, 2013, 5:24 PM EST
Already has 22 goals this season.
Dec 18, 2013, 5:07 PM EST
Goaltending has been an issue for the Devils this season.
Dec 18, 2013, 4:42 PM EST
Last played in the NHL back in 2005-06.
Dec 18, 2013, 4:21 PM EST
“We have a lot of guys here,” says Patrik Elias.
Dec 18, 2013, 3:50 PM EST
Tough times in T.O.
Dec 18, 2013, 3:36 PM EST
Both players are fortunate there was no serious injury.
Dec 18, 2013, 3:10 PM EST
Bruins GM had a chat with his mischievous player.
Dec 18, 2013, 3:08 PM EST
Detroit forward currently shelved while undergoing concussion protocol.
Dec 18, 2013, 2:21 PM EST
David Clarkson has two goals in 24 games.
Dec 18, 2013, 2:09 PM EST
Already ruled out for Thursday’s tilt vs. Montreal.
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 4
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 7
- Nonis: I’m not firing Carlyle 10
- Steen agrees to extension with Blues — three years, $17.4 million 17
- Engelland suspended five games for ‘reckless’ Abdelkader headshot 32
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: So many bad contracts, coaches on the hot seat, the NHL in Vegas? and more! 23
- Caps’ Wilson to have hearing for Schenn hit 41
- Is the NHL getting closer to putting a team in Vegas? 33
- Martin Jones gets another shutout, remains undefeated 33
- Video: Tom Wilson gets tossed for charging Brayden Schenn 59
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (101)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)