Mar 28, 2013, 7:26 PM EST
The 36-year-old served as the Panthers’ captain while being limited to six games played in 2013, but Florida’s brass shouldn’t be shocked by his health issues.
He was limited to 66 games last season and 50 with the Phoenix Coyotes in 2009-10, following his career path of showing glimpses of serious talent while frustrating with frequent bumps and bruises.
Richards doesn’t think that this problem will end the aging blueliner’s career. Considering his 35+ contract, the Panthers wouldn’t get relief if it did; the only way of getting out of a deal with a $4.125 million cap hit that expires in 2014-15 is either just sucking it up or amnestying the contract this summer.
(Or trading/waiving him … somehow.)
One way or another, it looks like “Jovocop” doesn’t have much left.
Fun fact: Florida made him the No. 1 pick of the 1994 NHL Draft.
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 33
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)