Mar 28, 2013, 7:26 PM EDT
The 36-year-old served as the Panthers’ captain while being limited to six games played in 2013, but Florida’s brass shouldn’t be shocked by his health issues.
He was limited to 66 games last season and 50 with the Phoenix Coyotes in 2009-10, following his career path of showing glimpses of serious talent while frustrating with frequent bumps and bruises.
Richards doesn’t think that this problem will end the aging blueliner’s career. Considering his 35+ contract, the Panthers wouldn’t get relief if it did; the only way of getting out of a deal with a $4.125 million cap hit that expires in 2014-15 is either just sucking it up or amnestying the contract this summer.
(Or trading/waiving him … somehow.)
One way or another, it looks like “Jovocop” doesn’t have much left.
Fun fact: Florida made him the No. 1 pick of the 1994 NHL Draft.
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 17
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 36
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 54
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 88
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (87)