Mar 28, 2013, 3:18 AM EDT
The Jarome Iginla era in Calgary ended Wednesday.
The Flames dealt their captain to the Pittsburgh Penguins in exchange for prospects Kenneth Agostino and Ben Hanowski and the Penguins’s 2013 first round pick.
The news officially broke following the Flames 4-3 victory over the Colorado Avalanche in a game between the two worst teams in the Western Conference.
“We, as an organization, are grateful for everything our captain has done. We’ve missed the [Stanley Cup Playoffs] the last three years, we are in very tight spot right now as far as qualifying for the playoffs and we have Jarome in the final year of his contract,” Flames general manager Jay Feaster told reporters in Calgary.
“This is not why I came to Calgary, to be the guy to trade Jarome Iginla.
“It’s an unfortunate and difficult part of this business. It was tough. I’ve only known Jarome for the three years I have been here, and Jarome has been very good to me. They are tough conversations to have.”
Iginla, 35, was originally drafted in the first-round, 11th overall, of the 1995 NHL Entry Draft by the Dallas Stars.
He became a member of the Flames via a trade in December of 1995. The Stars dealt Iginla to Calgary for Joe Nieuwendyk.
In 1,219 career regular season games with the Flames, he scored 525 goals and 1,095 points.
Iginla was a healthy scratch for Wednesday’s game against Colorado, prompting a wave of speculation that a trade was imminent.
“He’s been such a presence on this team, for this city, this organization, for so long,” Flames forward Michael Cammalleri told the Calgary Herald.
“It will be different, for sure, without him.”
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 0
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 31
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 43
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)