Mar 28, 2013, 3:18 AM EDT
The Jarome Iginla era in Calgary ended Wednesday.
The Flames dealt their captain to the Pittsburgh Penguins in exchange for prospects Kenneth Agostino and Ben Hanowski and the Penguins’s 2013 first round pick.
The news officially broke following the Flames 4-3 victory over the Colorado Avalanche in a game between the two worst teams in the Western Conference.
“We, as an organization, are grateful for everything our captain has done. We’ve missed the [Stanley Cup Playoffs] the last three years, we are in very tight spot right now as far as qualifying for the playoffs and we have Jarome in the final year of his contract,” Flames general manager Jay Feaster told reporters in Calgary.
“This is not why I came to Calgary, to be the guy to trade Jarome Iginla.
“It’s an unfortunate and difficult part of this business. It was tough. I’ve only known Jarome for the three years I have been here, and Jarome has been very good to me. They are tough conversations to have.”
Iginla, 35, was originally drafted in the first-round, 11th overall, of the 1995 NHL Entry Draft by the Dallas Stars.
He became a member of the Flames via a trade in December of 1995. The Stars dealt Iginla to Calgary for Joe Nieuwendyk.
In 1,219 career regular season games with the Flames, he scored 525 goals and 1,095 points.
Iginla was a healthy scratch for Wednesday’s game against Colorado, prompting a wave of speculation that a trade was imminent.
“He’s been such a presence on this team, for this city, this organization, for so long,” Flames forward Michael Cammalleri told the Calgary Herald.
“It will be different, for sure, without him.”
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 71
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 54
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 34
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)