Mar 28, 2013, 10:12 PM EST
The New York Rangers are dealing with a wide range of headaches as they try to hold onto the eighth playoff spot in the East. Thursday validated the New York Islanders as one of those worries.
The Rangers were shut out for the fourth time this season tonight, succumbing to the Ottawa Senators by a 3-0 score. Meanwhile, the Isles fought back from a 2-0 deficit to beat the Philadelphia Flyers 4-3 via a shootout.
With that, the Rangers’ hold on their position is perilously slim. John Tortorella’s bunch is 16-14-3 for 35 points in 33 games played while the insurgent Isles are 16-15-3 for 35 in 34.
The Carolina Hurricanes continue to fade in 10th place (they lost their seventh in a row by falling to Toronto tonight), so a local showdown for the final spot seems quite plausible.
In fact, if the the New Jersey Devils continue to bumble at seventh place (37 points in 33 games), things could get that much more interesting for area rivalries.
Dec 5, 2013, 4:36 PM EST
“Absolutely,” said Mike Gillis.
Dec 5, 2013, 4:05 PM EST
“All of the other guys, I think, have better to give.”
Dec 5, 2013, 3:08 PM EST
Still unclear what ails the 27-year-old defenseman.
Dec 5, 2013, 2:44 PM EST
“Here we are now and it’s a chance for us to grow as a team and work on some things that need fixing and turn in a good effort,” Blues d-man Kevin Shattenkirk said.
Dec 5, 2013, 2:35 PM EST
Which led to Montreal’s game-tying goal against New Jersey.
Dec 5, 2013, 2:03 PM EST
News and notes from the crease…
Dec 5, 2013, 1:42 PM EST
Dallas Eakins sends the pair of d-men to the press box.
Dec 5, 2013, 1:20 PM EST
Detroit’s absolutely ravaged by injuries right now.
Dec 5, 2013, 1:12 PM EST
Sports legal analyst Eric Macramalla answers that question and more.
Dec 5, 2013, 12:45 PM EST
Pittsburgh hosts San Jose tonight, not coincidentally.
Dec 5, 2013, 12:34 PM EST
Yet another question for Glen Sather to answer.
Dec 5, 2013, 12:11 PM EST
“We’ve got one of the better goaltenders in the world here.”
Dec 5, 2013, 11:51 AM EST
Dec 5, 2013, 11:50 AM EST
Left the morning skate early.
Dec 5, 2013, 11:37 AM EST
Been a brutal season injury-wise.
Dec 5, 2013, 11:29 AM EST
If it isn’t, it’s on life support.
Dec 5, 2013, 11:24 AM EST
Sounds like D’Amigo could make his NHL debut tonight.
Dec 5, 2013, 10:42 AM EST
“He’s working very hard, he’s very focused and I think he’ll do a good job for them.”
Dec 5, 2013, 9:55 AM EST
They’re 0-for-5 now.
Dec 5, 2013, 8:58 AM EST
They’ve been shut out three times in five games.
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 83
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 6
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 58
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 53
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (83)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (58)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (42)