Mar 28, 2013, 2:09 PM EST
With everyone still getting used to the idea of Jarome Iginla being a member of the Pittsburgh Penguins, the star forward addressed the media this afternoon.
From the sounds of it, Iginla will need some time to wrap his head around the change too.
While talking about some of the strong offensive teams the Calgary Flames have had over the years, his face began to light up. Caught up in his reminiscing he continued, “and now we still, we have a good – well,” he paused before correcting himself, “the Flames have…”
Although he was originally drafted by the Dallas Stars, the 35-year-old spent his entire tenure in the NHL with the Calgary Flames until now.
“I wish the Flames the absolute best,” Iginla said, according to Helene Elliott.
Still, as fondly as he might remember the past and as much of a connection as he has with Calgary, he’s also looking forward to what’s next.
He’s not sure what his role will be with the Pittsburgh Penguins, but he’s fine with whatever it is.
“It’s kind of like going to a Team Canada thing or an Olympic thing,” Iginla suggested, which is flattering, but sounding less ridiculous by the day. The Penguins already had a team flush with stars before Iginla and they’ve also added Brenden Morrow and Douglas Murray in separate trades.
“I’d love to get my first crack at (the Cup),” Iginla added based on the Penguins’ transcript. “Pittsburgh is great organization. Firepower and chemistry they have. I’ll try to help win.”
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 150
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 97
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 119
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (181)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (151)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (119)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)