Mar 28, 2013, 2:09 PM EDT
With everyone still getting used to the idea of Jarome Iginla being a member of the Pittsburgh Penguins, the star forward addressed the media this afternoon.
From the sounds of it, Iginla will need some time to wrap his head around the change too.
While talking about some of the strong offensive teams the Calgary Flames have had over the years, his face began to light up. Caught up in his reminiscing he continued, “and now we still, we have a good – well,” he paused before correcting himself, “the Flames have…”
Although he was originally drafted by the Dallas Stars, the 35-year-old spent his entire tenure in the NHL with the Calgary Flames until now.
“I wish the Flames the absolute best,” Iginla said, according to Helene Elliott.
Still, as fondly as he might remember the past and as much of a connection as he has with Calgary, he’s also looking forward to what’s next.
He’s not sure what his role will be with the Pittsburgh Penguins, but he’s fine with whatever it is.
“It’s kind of like going to a Team Canada thing or an Olympic thing,” Iginla suggested, which is flattering, but sounding less ridiculous by the day. The Penguins already had a team flush with stars before Iginla and they’ve also added Brenden Morrow and Douglas Murray in separate trades.
“I’d love to get my first crack at (the Cup),” Iginla added based on the Penguins’ transcript. “Pittsburgh is great organization. Firepower and chemistry they have. I’ll try to help win.”
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 5
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 16
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 36
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 7
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 44
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 105
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (89)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)