Mar 28, 2013, 2:09 PM EST
With everyone still getting used to the idea of Jarome Iginla being a member of the Pittsburgh Penguins, the star forward addressed the media this afternoon.
From the sounds of it, Iginla will need some time to wrap his head around the change too.
While talking about some of the strong offensive teams the Calgary Flames have had over the years, his face began to light up. Caught up in his reminiscing he continued, “and now we still, we have a good – well,” he paused before correcting himself, “the Flames have…”
Although he was originally drafted by the Dallas Stars, the 35-year-old spent his entire tenure in the NHL with the Calgary Flames until now.
“I wish the Flames the absolute best,” Iginla said, according to Helene Elliott.
Still, as fondly as he might remember the past and as much of a connection as he has with Calgary, he’s also looking forward to what’s next.
He’s not sure what his role will be with the Pittsburgh Penguins, but he’s fine with whatever it is.
“It’s kind of like going to a Team Canada thing or an Olympic thing,” Iginla suggested, which is flattering, but sounding less ridiculous by the day. The Penguins already had a team flush with stars before Iginla and they’ve also added Brenden Morrow and Douglas Murray in separate trades.
“I’d love to get my first crack at (the Cup),” Iginla added based on the Penguins’ transcript. “Pittsburgh is great organization. Firepower and chemistry they have. I’ll try to help win.”
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 5
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 4
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 21
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)