Mar 28, 2013, 2:09 PM EDT
With everyone still getting used to the idea of Jarome Iginla being a member of the Pittsburgh Penguins, the star forward addressed the media this afternoon.
From the sounds of it, Iginla will need some time to wrap his head around the change too.
While talking about some of the strong offensive teams the Calgary Flames have had over the years, his face began to light up. Caught up in his reminiscing he continued, “and now we still, we have a good – well,” he paused before correcting himself, “the Flames have…”
Although he was originally drafted by the Dallas Stars, the 35-year-old spent his entire tenure in the NHL with the Calgary Flames until now.
“I wish the Flames the absolute best,” Iginla said, according to Helene Elliott.
Still, as fondly as he might remember the past and as much of a connection as he has with Calgary, he’s also looking forward to what’s next.
He’s not sure what his role will be with the Pittsburgh Penguins, but he’s fine with whatever it is.
“It’s kind of like going to a Team Canada thing or an Olympic thing,” Iginla suggested, which is flattering, but sounding less ridiculous by the day. The Penguins already had a team flush with stars before Iginla and they’ve also added Brenden Morrow and Douglas Murray in separate trades.
“I’d love to get my first crack at (the Cup),” Iginla added based on the Penguins’ transcript. “Pittsburgh is great organization. Firepower and chemistry they have. I’ll try to help win.”
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 11
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 13
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 24
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 27
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 9
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 39
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)