Mar 28, 2013, 2:51 PM EST
The way Capitals defenseman Mike Green describes it, Washington’s coaching saga in recent years mirrors that of Goldilocks and the Three Bears, and coach Adam Oates is just right.
“It’s a balance between playing strong defense and still being able to create offense,” Green said in a CSN Washington report. “That’s really what we needed. We had polar opposites the last couple years and we’re at a point now where we need one direction.”
Oates’ tenure with the Capitals hasn’t gotten off to a great start, and there’s a good chance Washington’s five-season streak of making the playoffs is about to come to an end.
Still, Washington has gotten better as the season has progressed and Green admires Oates’ willingness to stick with his system through the bad times.
“With the amount of games he played in this league, he knows that changing things up is more of a mental stress on the team and just causes more confusion,” Green said. “He’s consistently stayed with the same system throughout the whole season and that has really helped us, especially right now.
“This is the time where we need to be confident and have our coach at an even keel and he’s been outstanding.”
Meanwhile, Oates thinks highly of Green as well and wants to see the blueliner apply that balanced approach of offense and defense to his own game, according to the Washington Post.
Oates thinks Green can develop into a Ray Bourque-style of player — one who holds his own defensively while still putting up big offensive numbers.
To that end, in what has been referred to as the Ray Bourque rule, Oates doesn’t want to see Green behind the net in the offensive zone.
“When I played with Ray, that was always Ray’s philosophy. His job was to get to the offensive zone and contribute on the offensive blueline,” Oates said. “You know, you’re not a forward, you’re a defenseman.
“At the end of the day, you’re still a defenseman. And it’s more important for us to have Mike available for those 27 minutes handling the puck than it is for him to be behind their net.”
Washington is in the middle of a three-day break and then they’ll start a road trip in Buffalo on Saturday.
Dec 28, 2014, 5:30 PM EST
Has been out of St. Louis’ lineup since Nov. 25.
Dec 28, 2014, 5:00 PM EST
Playing for the first time since Nov. 4
Dec 28, 2014, 4:15 PM EST
Has missed three games with an upper body injury.
Dec 28, 2014, 3:30 PM EST
The forward will miss a few weeks with a lower body injury.
Dec 28, 2014, 2:45 PM EST
Recalled goaltender Christopher Gibson from AHL.
Dec 28, 2014, 2:00 PM EST
Kevin Poulin returned to Bridgeport.
Dec 28, 2014, 1:15 PM EST
Has missed the first 35 games of the season.
Dec 28, 2014, 12:30 PM EST
Boston’s Matt Fraser also on the waiver wire.
Dec 28, 2014, 12:00 PM EST
Anton Forsberg reassigned to Springfield.
Dec 28, 2014, 11:15 AM EST
Rasmus Ristolainen is sick.
Dec 28, 2014, 10:30 AM EST
The Dallas forward has been suspended three times in two seasons.
Dec 28, 2014, 9:45 AM EST
Expected to serve as an extra defenseman as the Canucks visit the Ducks.
Dec 28, 2014, 1:59 AM EST
Darryl Sutter must like what he sees with the advantage.
Dec 28, 2014, 1:03 AM EST
Dec 28, 2014, 12:36 AM EST
Meanwhile, the Rangers are playing OK.
Dec 28, 2014, 12:05 AM EST
Battle of California tonight.
Dec 27, 2014, 11:47 PM EST
Some controversy in this game, too.
Dec 27, 2014, 11:02 PM EST
Same old, same old.
Dec 27, 2014, 10:48 PM EST
Holy puck possession!
Dec 27, 2014, 10:27 PM EST
Physical game between these teams.
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 6
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 6
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 73
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (73)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)