Mar 28, 2013, 11:31 AM EDT
The Flames have traded away their superstar and captain rather than risk losing him for nothing this summer when his contract is scheduled to expire.
So, with one icon gone and the team’s postseason hopes slim at best, is it time for the Calgary Flames to finally fully embrace a rebuilding mentality?
“I don’t want to use the word ‘rebuild,’ ” said Flames GM Jay Feaster in a Calgary Sun report.
“We want to bring some more young players into this organization. There’s a gap from the 18- and 19-year-olds to the 27-, 28-, 29-year-olds”
If the Flames want to continue trading for young assets, they certainly have more players teams would be interested in. For example, defenseman Jay Bouwmeester would likely fetch a high price. He won’t be an unrestricted free agent until the summer of 2014, but the Flames could trade him now to avoid having to make another 11th hour decision like they did with Iginla.
Only time will tell if the Iginla trade represents a philosophic shift for the Flames or if they simply picked what they saw as the best option out of a field of bad ones.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)