Mar 28, 2013, 11:31 AM EST
The Flames have traded away their superstar and captain rather than risk losing him for nothing this summer when his contract is scheduled to expire.
So, with one icon gone and the team’s postseason hopes slim at best, is it time for the Calgary Flames to finally fully embrace a rebuilding mentality?
“I don’t want to use the word ‘rebuild,’ ” said Flames GM Jay Feaster in a Calgary Sun report.
“We want to bring some more young players into this organization. There’s a gap from the 18- and 19-year-olds to the 27-, 28-, 29-year-olds”
If the Flames want to continue trading for young assets, they certainly have more players teams would be interested in. For example, defenseman Jay Bouwmeester would likely fetch a high price. He won’t be an unrestricted free agent until the summer of 2014, but the Flames could trade him now to avoid having to make another 11th hour decision like they did with Iginla.
Only time will tell if the Iginla trade represents a philosophic shift for the Flames or if they simply picked what they saw as the best option out of a field of bad ones.
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 0
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 57
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 80
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 29
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (80)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)