Mar 28, 2013, 11:15 PM EDT
After losing seven games in a row, the Phoenix Coyotes broke their cold streak in perhaps the least likely way possible. They opened Thursday’s game against the Nashville Predators by out-scoring them 6-3 in the first period, eventually winning 7-4.
The first period scoring summary really tells the story about how things began in a dizzying way (although Pekka Rinne being pulled and then returning says a lot, too).
- Martin Hanzal goal (1:46 in)
- Radim Vrbata goal (3:42 in)
- David Moss goal (3:50 in)
- Matthew Lombardi goal (7:08 in)
- Keith Yandle goal (8:26 in)
- David Legwand goal (9:03 in)
- Rich Clune goal (9:33 in)
- Vrbata’s second goal (15:57 in)
- Gabriel Bourque goal (16:29 in)
Yup, that’s pretty ridiculous. Here are a fun facts:
- The Tennessean’s John Glennon reports that nine combined goals in one period sets a Predators record while six goals allowed in one period ties a Preds record.
- The Coyotes scored as many goals (seven) in this game as they had in their 0-6-1 streak.
- Those six goals scored ties a Coyotes franchise record, according to the Arizona Republic’s Sarah McLellan.
- Steve Sullivan played in his 1,000th game.
The lesson: even the most defensive-minded teams can evoke the video game scoring of the 1980′s every now and then.
Apr 19, 2014, 10:33 PM EDT
The defenseman last played in the first period.
Apr 19, 2014, 10:18 PM EDT
He’s clearly not wilting in the postseason spotlight.
Apr 19, 2014, 9:55 PM EDT
Columbus has been in the NHL since the 2000-01 season.
Apr 19, 2014, 8:52 PM EDT
More magic from Paul Stastny?
Apr 19, 2014, 8:36 PM EDT
Quite a busy 2:26 of ice time.
Apr 19, 2014, 7:57 PM EDT
“I have to be better.”
Apr 19, 2014, 7:22 PM EDT
The Blues coach mostly pleads the fifth.
Apr 19, 2014, 6:52 PM EDT
His play may wind up costing him a suspension.
Apr 19, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Pittsburgh carries a 1-0 series lead into Saturday.
Apr 19, 2014, 6:29 PM EDT
Things changed fast late in the third period.
Apr 19, 2014, 6:11 PM EDT
His penalty got things going in the wrong direction for Chicago.
Apr 19, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
Apr 19, 2014, 5:34 PM EDT
Memo to players: wear a cup.
Apr 19, 2014, 5:08 PM EDT
His goal is the difference in the game through two.
Apr 19, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT
He’s been out since March 29 with a knee injury.
Apr 19, 2014, 3:09 PM EDT
He’s missed three games with an upper-body injury.
Apr 19, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
The Blackhawks look to head home with a split.
Apr 19, 2014, 2:24 PM EDT
He’s aiming to return for Game 3 on Tuesday.
Apr 19, 2014, 2:01 PM EDT
He avoided a suspension for the act.
Apr 19, 2014, 1:29 PM EDT
He’s been out since April 3.
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 2) 0
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 30
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; Blues tie it up in waning moments 92
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 48
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 76
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 115
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 63