Mar 28, 2013, 11:15 PM EST
After losing seven games in a row, the Phoenix Coyotes broke their cold streak in perhaps the least likely way possible. They opened Thursday’s game against the Nashville Predators by out-scoring them 6-3 in the first period, eventually winning 7-4.
The first period scoring summary really tells the story about how things began in a dizzying way (although Pekka Rinne being pulled and then returning says a lot, too).
- Martin Hanzal goal (1:46 in)
- Radim Vrbata goal (3:42 in)
- David Moss goal (3:50 in)
- Matthew Lombardi goal (7:08 in)
- Keith Yandle goal (8:26 in)
- David Legwand goal (9:03 in)
- Rich Clune goal (9:33 in)
- Vrbata’s second goal (15:57 in)
- Gabriel Bourque goal (16:29 in)
Yup, that’s pretty ridiculous. Here are a fun facts:
- The Tennessean’s John Glennon reports that nine combined goals in one period sets a Predators record while six goals allowed in one period ties a Preds record.
- The Coyotes scored as many goals (seven) in this game as they had in their 0-6-1 streak.
- Those six goals scored ties a Coyotes franchise record, according to the Arizona Republic’s Sarah McLellan.
- Steve Sullivan played in his 1,000th game.
The lesson: even the most defensive-minded teams can evoke the video game scoring of the 1980′s every now and then.
Dec 18, 2013, 9:41 PM EST
It’s not a concussion.
Dec 18, 2013, 9:02 PM EST
Could the World Junior tournament be next?
Dec 18, 2013, 8:52 PM EST
Dec 18, 2013, 8:38 PM EST
Veteran forward had been playing in AHL Grand Rapids.
Dec 18, 2013, 8:29 PM EST
Should be the first of many, based on his junior career.
Dec 18, 2013, 7:57 PM EST
He hasn’t played since Nov. 30.
Dec 18, 2013, 7:17 PM EST
“It is home.”
Dec 18, 2013, 6:56 PM EST
Plans are for him to rejoin the team in Winnipeg on Dec. 27.
Dec 18, 2013, 6:27 PM EST
“If they’re waiting for a coaching change, they’re going to be waiting a long time.”
Dec 18, 2013, 5:24 PM EST
Already has 22 goals this season.
Dec 18, 2013, 5:07 PM EST
Goaltending has been an issue for the Devils this season.
Dec 18, 2013, 4:42 PM EST
Last played in the NHL back in 2005-06.
Dec 18, 2013, 4:21 PM EST
“We have a lot of guys here,” says Patrik Elias.
Dec 18, 2013, 3:50 PM EST
Tough times in T.O.
Dec 18, 2013, 3:36 PM EST
Both players are fortunate there was no serious injury.
Dec 18, 2013, 3:10 PM EST
Bruins GM had a chat with his mischievous player.
Dec 18, 2013, 3:08 PM EST
Detroit forward currently shelved while undergoing concussion protocol.
Dec 18, 2013, 2:21 PM EST
David Clarkson has two goals in 24 games.
Dec 18, 2013, 2:09 PM EST
Already ruled out for Thursday’s tilt vs. Montreal.
Dec 18, 2013, 1:46 PM EST
Just days after Lindy Ruff lamented the club’s lack of blueline experience.
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 3
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 6
- Nonis: I’m not firing Carlyle 9
- Steen agrees to extension with Blues — three years, $17.4 million 17
- Engelland suspended five games for ‘reckless’ Abdelkader headshot 32
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: So many bad contracts, coaches on the hot seat, the NHL in Vegas? and more! 23
- Caps’ Wilson to have hearing for Schenn hit 40
- Is the NHL getting closer to putting a team in Vegas? 33
- Martin Jones gets another shutout, remains undefeated 33
- Video: Tom Wilson gets tossed for charging Brayden Schenn 59
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (101)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)