Mar 28, 2013, 11:15 PM EDT
After losing seven games in a row, the Phoenix Coyotes broke their cold streak in perhaps the least likely way possible. They opened Thursday’s game against the Nashville Predators by out-scoring them 6-3 in the first period, eventually winning 7-4.
The first period scoring summary really tells the story about how things began in a dizzying way (although Pekka Rinne being pulled and then returning says a lot, too).
– Martin Hanzal goal (1:46 in)
– Radim Vrbata goal (3:42 in)
– David Moss goal (3:50 in)
– Matthew Lombardi goal (7:08 in)
– Keith Yandle goal (8:26 in)
– David Legwand goal (9:03 in)
– Rich Clune goal (9:33 in)
– Vrbata’s second goal (15:57 in)
– Gabriel Bourque goal (16:29 in)
Yup, that’s pretty ridiculous. Here are a fun facts:
- The Tennessean’s John Glennon reports that nine combined goals in one period sets a Predators record while six goals allowed in one period ties a Preds record.
- The Coyotes scored as many goals (seven) in this game as they had in their 0-6-1 streak.
- Those six goals scored ties a Coyotes franchise record, according to the Arizona Republic’s Sarah McLellan.
- Steve Sullivan played in his 1,000th game.
The lesson: even the most defensive-minded teams can evoke the video game scoring of the 1980’s every now and then.
Sep 3, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
It would mark a record for the sale of a U.S.-based NHL team.
Sep 3, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Thursday’s collection of links.
Sep 2, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
Bakersfield and Stockton will play in West Sacramento, Calif. on Dec. 18.
Sep 2, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
As many as five teams are reportedly interested in acquiring the 26-year-old.
Sep 2, 2015, 8:45 PM EDT
He was expecting a two or three year contract.
Sep 2, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
The 26-year-old refuted an Ilta-Sanomat story.
Sep 2, 2015, 3:35 PM EDT
The 23-year-old appeared in 38 games with Chicago last season.
Sep 2, 2015, 1:57 PM EDT
“I’m a realist. If nothing happens, that’s the way it is.”
Sep 2, 2015, 12:34 PM EDT
Can he beat out Cam Talbot and Ben Scrivens?
Sep 2, 2015, 12:05 PM EDT
“I know that it’s not just me that feels I can be a lot better and be the player that I know I’m going to be and I want to be.”
Sep 2, 2015, 11:47 AM EDT
Another diamond in the rough?
Sep 2, 2015, 10:59 AM EDT
He also wanted them to get swept in the opening playoff round against Nashville, apparently.
Sep 2, 2015, 9:54 AM EDT
After missing most of last season with a back injury.
Sep 2, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
It will be raised before the home opener on Oct. 10.
Sep 2, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Wednesday’s collection of links.
Sep 1, 2015, 10:11 PM EDT
They were near the bottom of the league in that regard last season.
Sep 1, 2015, 9:03 PM EDT
“The way he offered his house to me shows what kind of person he is.”
Sep 1, 2015, 7:33 PM EDT
They had strong attendance numbers last season too.
Sep 1, 2015, 6:04 PM EDT
The Blues have a vacancy with Patrik Berglund out for at least four months.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 115
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (115)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (40)