Mar 28, 2013, 11:15 PM EDT
After losing seven games in a row, the Phoenix Coyotes broke their cold streak in perhaps the least likely way possible. They opened Thursday’s game against the Nashville Predators by out-scoring them 6-3 in the first period, eventually winning 7-4.
The first period scoring summary really tells the story about how things began in a dizzying way (although Pekka Rinne being pulled and then returning says a lot, too).
– Martin Hanzal goal (1:46 in)
– Radim Vrbata goal (3:42 in)
– David Moss goal (3:50 in)
– Matthew Lombardi goal (7:08 in)
– Keith Yandle goal (8:26 in)
– David Legwand goal (9:03 in)
– Rich Clune goal (9:33 in)
– Vrbata’s second goal (15:57 in)
– Gabriel Bourque goal (16:29 in)
Yup, that’s pretty ridiculous. Here are a fun facts:
- The Tennessean’s John Glennon reports that nine combined goals in one period sets a Predators record while six goals allowed in one period ties a Preds record.
- The Coyotes scored as many goals (seven) in this game as they had in their 0-6-1 streak.
- Those six goals scored ties a Coyotes franchise record, according to the Arizona Republic’s Sarah McLellan.
- Steve Sullivan played in his 1,000th game.
The lesson: even the most defensive-minded teams can evoke the video game scoring of the 1980’s every now and then.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 23
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 46
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 20
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 85
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)