Mar 28, 2013, 12:07 AM EST
Cory Schneider will start in goal for the Vancouver Canucks when they take on the Colorado Avalanche Thursday at Rogers Arena.
Associate coach Rick Bowness confirmed the news Wednesday, although it’s hard to imagine why Schneider wouldn’t be given the start.
Schneider has been the starting goalie in each of the last five games and has been the leading cause for the Canucks’ current five-game win streak. He has shutouts in two of his last three starts.
This has left Roberto Luongo, who is in the third year of a 12-year, $64 million contract, parked on the bench.
“We all see how (Schneider) is playing right now,” Luongo told reporters in Vancouver.
“He’s playing unreal, he’s probably the best goalie in the league right now, so obviously you’ve got to roll with the hot hand and that’s totally understandable.”
Luongo was the only goalie to take part in the Canucks’ optional skate Wednesday, and was the only goalie made available to the media.
His future in Vancouver was once again the forefront of conversation.
His named has been linked to trade rumors for almost a full year, ever since Schneider surpassed him as the starting goalie in last year’s playoff series against the L.A. Kings.
There has recently been a steady increase in trade talk surrounding Luongo, with the NHL’s trade deadline of April fast approaching.
The Canucks, with Ryan Kesler out with a broken bone in his foot and Manny Malhotra put on injured reserve due to safety concerns resulting from a devastating eye injury two years ago, are thin down the middle and have been in the market for an NHL-caliber center.
Dec 21, 2013, 10:15 PM EST
He notched No. 694, moving to a tie for seventh.
Dec 21, 2013, 9:09 PM EST
A tall order, if you will.
Dec 21, 2013, 8:26 PM EST
Brutal luck for the winger, Columbus and Slovakia.
Dec 21, 2013, 8:04 PM EST
He was able to skate off with some help from a trainer.
Dec 21, 2013, 7:34 PM EST
Los Angeles took a 3-2 shootout win vs. Colorado on Saturday.
Dec 21, 2013, 7:11 PM EST
Hey, the Islanders get a break.
Dec 21, 2013, 6:53 PM EST
The 51-year-old Washington Capitals coach faces former peers Saturday.
Dec 21, 2013, 6:33 PM EST
He suffered a concussion against Ottawa on Monday.
Dec 21, 2013, 5:42 PM EST
He wants to be a number one goalie, even if it’s not with Washington.
Dec 21, 2013, 5:15 PM EST
It was against the team that drafted him, the Ottawa Senators.
Dec 21, 2013, 4:25 PM EST
He has an upper-body injury.
Dec 21, 2013, 3:58 PM EST
Curtis Glencross and Kris Russell are both sidelined.
Dec 21, 2013, 3:35 PM EST
No decision has been made though.
Dec 21, 2013, 3:06 PM EST
He’ll miss at least a month.
Dec 21, 2013, 2:44 PM EST
He has allowed 10 goals in his last three games.
Dec 21, 2013, 2:09 PM EST
He’s already missed roughly a month this season due to knee problems.
Dec 21, 2013, 1:47 PM EST
He’s expected to play against Ottawa this afternoon.
Dec 21, 2013, 1:38 PM EST
The holiday roster freeze will keep him with Washington for at least one more week.
Dec 21, 2013, 1:00 PM EST
Right when he was starting to rebound…
Dec 21, 2013, 12:17 PM EST
His return isn’t imminent, but he’s making progress.
- Marian Gaborik suffers broken collarbone in return to action 4
- Martin Jones improves to 8-0-0, ties NHL record 12
- Vermette gets hat trick, including late tying goal, OT winner 2
- GM Wilson: It’s too early to tell if Hertl’s season is done 25
- A month later, Martin Erat still wants to be traded 11
- Devils lose Brunner for at least four weeks 0
- Video: Ovechkin becomes sixth fastest player to 400 goals in Caps win 14
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 16
- Assault charges against Varlamov dropped 37
- Carlyle on HBO presence: ‘It’s not normal what we’re living right now’ 7
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (108)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (104)
- Orpik: First days after Thornton attack were ‘miserable’ (72)
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head (71)
- Video: Marchand taunts Canucks with championship miming (69)