Mar 28, 2013, 12:07 AM EDT
Cory Schneider will start in goal for the Vancouver Canucks when they take on the Colorado Avalanche Thursday at Rogers Arena.
Associate coach Rick Bowness confirmed the news Wednesday, although it’s hard to imagine why Schneider wouldn’t be given the start.
Schneider has been the starting goalie in each of the last five games and has been the leading cause for the Canucks’ current five-game win streak. He has shutouts in two of his last three starts.
This has left Roberto Luongo, who is in the third year of a 12-year, $64 million contract, parked on the bench.
“We all see how (Schneider) is playing right now,” Luongo told reporters in Vancouver.
“He’s playing unreal, he’s probably the best goalie in the league right now, so obviously you’ve got to roll with the hot hand and that’s totally understandable.”
Luongo was the only goalie to take part in the Canucks’ optional skate Wednesday, and was the only goalie made available to the media.
His future in Vancouver was once again the forefront of conversation.
His named has been linked to trade rumors for almost a full year, ever since Schneider surpassed him as the starting goalie in last year’s playoff series against the L.A. Kings.
There has recently been a steady increase in trade talk surrounding Luongo, with the NHL’s trade deadline of April fast approaching.
The Canucks, with Ryan Kesler out with a broken bone in his foot and Manny Malhotra put on injured reserve due to safety concerns resulting from a devastating eye injury two years ago, are thin down the middle and have been in the market for an NHL-caliber center.
Apr 28, 2015, 3:48 PM EDT
Veteran Finn is a UFA on July 1.
Apr 28, 2015, 3:47 PM EDT
“I don’t want to tear it apart, but I’m not afraid to make changes if I think it’ll help the team.”
Apr 28, 2015, 2:28 PM EDT
Nothing like a little competition to get things done.
Apr 28, 2015, 2:16 PM EDT
Isles defenseman missed the entire opening-round series loss to Washington.
Apr 28, 2015, 1:54 PM EDT
Kicks off on Thursday with the Rangers taking on the Caps, and the Flames facing the Ducks.
Apr 28, 2015, 1:32 PM EDT
Jamie Benn’s having two of ’em!
Apr 28, 2015, 1:09 PM EDT
“I feel like I’ve let people down.”
Apr 28, 2015, 1:08 PM EDT
Was dismissed by the Flyers 11 days ago.
Apr 28, 2015, 12:25 PM EDT
“It wasn’t a perfect fit, to be honest.”
Apr 28, 2015, 12:21 PM EDT
Should be an interesting offseason in Pittsburgh.
Apr 28, 2015, 11:29 AM EDT
Though the former will be on the limp.
Apr 28, 2015, 10:33 AM EDT
Both expected to be ready for training camp.
Apr 28, 2015, 10:01 AM EDT
Occurred late in the second period on Monday night.
Apr 28, 2015, 9:15 AM EDT
Both are unrestricted free agents this summer.
Apr 28, 2015, 8:07 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Apr 28, 2015, 12:04 AM EDT
It’s also tough to say what happens next.
Apr 27, 2015, 11:16 PM EDT
Barry Trotz says he has the joy of a kid and the maturity of a man.
Apr 27, 2015, 10:33 PM EDT
Apr 27, 2015, 10:17 PM EDT
Washington shuts it down, big time.
Apr 27, 2015, 9:55 PM EDT
Some great individual performances propel Tampa Bay.
- Armstrong: ‘Let’s live to fight another day’ 0
- Hitch needs ‘time to reflect’ before making decision on future 17
- Rutherford admits mistakes, but has support of Penguins ownership 7
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 39
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 38
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 26
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 10
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 31
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)