Mar 28, 2013, 12:07 AM EDT
Cory Schneider will start in goal for the Vancouver Canucks when they take on the Colorado Avalanche Thursday at Rogers Arena.
Associate coach Rick Bowness confirmed the news Wednesday, although it’s hard to imagine why Schneider wouldn’t be given the start.
Schneider has been the starting goalie in each of the last five games and has been the leading cause for the Canucks’ current five-game win streak. He has shutouts in two of his last three starts.
This has left Roberto Luongo, who is in the third year of a 12-year, $64 million contract, parked on the bench.
“We all see how (Schneider) is playing right now,” Luongo told reporters in Vancouver.
“He’s playing unreal, he’s probably the best goalie in the league right now, so obviously you’ve got to roll with the hot hand and that’s totally understandable.”
Luongo was the only goalie to take part in the Canucks’ optional skate Wednesday, and was the only goalie made available to the media.
His future in Vancouver was once again the forefront of conversation.
His named has been linked to trade rumors for almost a full year, ever since Schneider surpassed him as the starting goalie in last year’s playoff series against the L.A. Kings.
There has recently been a steady increase in trade talk surrounding Luongo, with the NHL’s trade deadline of April fast approaching.
The Canucks, with Ryan Kesler out with a broken bone in his foot and Manny Malhotra put on injured reserve due to safety concerns resulting from a devastating eye injury two years ago, are thin down the middle and have been in the market for an NHL-caliber center.
Sep 20, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
After playing in just 16 games in 2013-14, he’s looking to be a contributor this season.
Sep 20, 2014, 9:46 AM EDT
Undrafted defenseman looking to make an impression at camp.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets would settle for far less after he scored just 19 last season.
Sep 19, 2014, 10:03 PM EDT
The last thing he wants is to suffer a setback by rushing his recovery.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:37 PM EDT
That’s not the only summer statement he took exception to.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:04 PM EDT
Bob Suter was a defenseman on the “Miracle on Ice” team.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:02 PM EDT
That usually doesn’t end well, but this might be an exception.
Sep 19, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT
He suffered three concussions in under a year.
Sep 19, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
It’s part of the reason why the defenseman is playing for Washington.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:58 PM EDT
He suffered a concussion last season.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:17 PM EDT
Greg Sherman stayed on as his assistant.
Sep 19, 2014, 3:33 PM EDT
He’s not the only member of the Ducks that’s hurting.
Sep 19, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Held out of Kings’ on-ice activities on Friday.
Sep 19, 2014, 2:06 PM EDT
“We’re a cap team now, despite us being in the bottom five of the league in ticket revenue.”
Sep 19, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Flyers captain currently being evaluated.
Sep 19, 2014, 1:21 PM EDT
“We have two NHL centermen right now,” said Dallas Eakins.
Sep 19, 2014, 1:09 PM EDT
Just like they did last year.
Sep 19, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
But most of them wouldn’t have gone public with the negotiations.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT
What does his future hold in Calgary?
Sep 19, 2014, 11:17 AM EDT
Will the men have to face NHLers?
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 6
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 15
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)