Mar 28, 2013, 12:07 AM EDT
Cory Schneider will start in goal for the Vancouver Canucks when they take on the Colorado Avalanche Thursday at Rogers Arena.
Associate coach Rick Bowness confirmed the news Wednesday, although it’s hard to imagine why Schneider wouldn’t be given the start.
Schneider has been the starting goalie in each of the last five games and has been the leading cause for the Canucks’ current five-game win streak. He has shutouts in two of his last three starts.
This has left Roberto Luongo, who is in the third year of a 12-year, $64 million contract, parked on the bench.
“We all see how (Schneider) is playing right now,” Luongo told reporters in Vancouver.
“He’s playing unreal, he’s probably the best goalie in the league right now, so obviously you’ve got to roll with the hot hand and that’s totally understandable.”
Luongo was the only goalie to take part in the Canucks’ optional skate Wednesday, and was the only goalie made available to the media.
His future in Vancouver was once again the forefront of conversation.
His named has been linked to trade rumors for almost a full year, ever since Schneider surpassed him as the starting goalie in last year’s playoff series against the L.A. Kings.
There has recently been a steady increase in trade talk surrounding Luongo, with the NHL’s trade deadline of April fast approaching.
The Canucks, with Ryan Kesler out with a broken bone in his foot and Manny Malhotra put on injured reserve due to safety concerns resulting from a devastating eye injury two years ago, are thin down the middle and have been in the market for an NHL-caliber center.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 2
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 12
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 53
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 19
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 16
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)