Mar 28, 2013, 2:18 PM EDT
If anything, you have to admire Mike Gillis’s patience.
Well, unless Gillis isn’t so much patient as delusional. In which case you don’t have to admire it as much.
Whatever you call it, Gillis still hasn’t traded Roberto Luongo. And with the deadline a matter of days away, it appears Vancouver may have a $64 million backup goalie for the playoffs.
All along, the Canucks have insisted they won’t be giving away Luongo for anything less than a significant return. This despite the 33-year-old’s big contract and the opinion of many that he’s no longer worth said contract.
Per the Vancouver Sun, the club’s thinking doesn’t seem to have changed, even as things have dragged on far longer than anticipated.
“From an efficiency standpoint, to have $9.33 million invested in two goaltenders when only one of them can play is clearly not the most efficient use of resources,” assistant GM Laurence Gilman said. “That being said … Roberto is still in the prime of his career and can stabilize a NHL team for years to come. That’s an asset that’s extremely hard to come by. It would be foolish for us to trade Roberto for a rental player.”
On the other hand, the Canucks will be the first to admit they’re in “go for it” mode. The Sedin twins are 32 and the organization isn’t exactly stocked with can’t-miss prospects.
What’s more, for teams searching for goaltending help, there are alternatives that don’t come with the financial risk that Luongo does.
Gilman is absolutely right when he says, “Goaltending is a bellwether position in the National Hockey League. You can’t win without it. It’s like pitching in baseball.”
Unfortunately for the Canucks, Luongo’s recent performance (after a hot start) can’t be helping the club’s trade pitch. He’ll be on the bench again tonight as Cory Schneider makes his sixth straight start.
It’s something Luongo may have to get used to.
Sitting on the bench.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)