Mar 28, 2013, 8:13 PM EDT
The St. Louis Blues’ three’s company goaltending routine is getting cut down, at least for a weekend. The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that struggling former All-Star Brian Elliott has been sent to the team’s AHL affiliate for conditioning purposes.
Blues GM Doug Armstrong explains why it will be a short but potentially useful stint.
“We don’t play this weekend and he wasn’t going to play tonight,” Armstrong said. “It gives him an opportunity to play two games in two nights. The feeling was he needed to get some games.”
The trip didn’t just happen because Elliott, 27, will be able to squeeze in contests on Friday and Saturday with the Peoria Rivermen. It’s likely that the team kept him around a little longer so that the Matt D’Agostini trade could go through.
Naturally, some might wonder if the Blues are trying to keep Elliott in shape for trade deadline reasons.
They’re carrying three goalies (Elliott, Jake Allen and Jaroslav Halak) on their NHL roster, which is not exactly ideal. It’s also interesting that Elliott and Halak have contracts through 2013-14 while Allen is a restricted free agent this summer.
One might see that as a formula for a trade, yet Elliott’s value is low and Armstrong shot down Halak rumors.
Either way, the Blues’ netminding situation looks set to be an interesting scenario to watch, especially in the next week.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 3
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 19
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 17
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)