Mar 28, 2013, 3:33 PM EST
The St. Louis Blues have lost three of their last four games and are coming off a 3-0 loss to the Edmonton Oilers on Tuesday.
With their hold on a playoff spot slipping, Blues coach Ken Hitchcock held a post-game meeting after their latest defeat. They’ll play the Los Angeles Kings tonight and try to prove they can do more than just talk about their problems.
“If we don’t,” captain David Backes added, “we’re going to be a miserable team for a while. So, it’s time to put up tonight and we’ll see how we respond as a group.”
The Blues will have three off-days to think about what went wrong this time should they lose tonight. More importantly, they might fall out of the top eight during that time. As it is, only two points separate them and ninth place.
“It’s crunch time,” Andy McDonald said. “Everyone looks at the standings to see where we are, and how close it is.
“The expectations are so high in this room and guys want to play in the postseason. There have been a lot of meetings from the end of the last game until now, hopefully we understand that we have to bring it together now and they’re can’t be any excuses. The most important hockey is right now.”
The flip side is that a win tonight would be a big morale boost for the Blues at a critical time, especially seeing as it would be coming against the Kings. Including Los Angeles’ four-game sweep in the postseason, the Blues have suffered seven straight defeats to the Kings.
“They’re definitely a top test… I think the perfect test for us right now,” Oshie said.
Goaltender Jaroslav Halak is expected be in net for the Blues and the game will start at 8:00 p.m. ET.
Mar 4, 2015, 8:02 AM EST
Wednesday’s collection of links.
Mar 3, 2015, 11:31 PM EST
Some exciting moments from Ducks – Coyotes.
Mar 3, 2015, 11:02 PM EST
The frequent Islanders hitter has two long-ago suspensions.
Mar 3, 2015, 10:40 PM EST
A truly weird scene for Florida’s goalies.
Mar 3, 2015, 10:17 PM EST
Easy, if uninspired, win for Tampa Bay.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:39 PM EST
He fought Marcus Foligno on Tuesday.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:24 PM EST
Tough start to Tuesday for goalies.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:18 PM EST
Montoya is currently trying to gut it out.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:06 PM EST
A contentious game in Columbus.
Mar 3, 2015, 8:16 PM EST
They traded for him on Monday.
Mar 3, 2015, 7:55 PM EST
Vancouver faces San Jose tonight.
Mar 3, 2015, 7:29 PM EST
He says he’s happy to be in New Jersey.
Mar 3, 2015, 6:29 PM EST
Could we see an upset or a blowout?
Mar 3, 2015, 5:33 PM EST
Incident occurred during TSN’s trade deadline day coverage.
Mar 3, 2015, 4:41 PM EST
Recapping the trade deadline.
Mar 3, 2015, 4:38 PM EST
“Shane’s a pro, he’ll get through it.”
Mar 3, 2015, 3:58 PM EST
Flames captain was holding out hope for a “tiny chance” he could keep playing.
Mar 3, 2015, 3:25 PM EST
Making it “pretty cool to be a part of.”
Mar 3, 2015, 2:17 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 3, 2015, 2:16 PM EST
He didn’t sign with them to lose.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 3
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 57
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 28
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)