Mar 28, 2013, 3:33 PM EDT
The St. Louis Blues have lost three of their last four games and are coming off a 3-0 loss to the Edmonton Oilers on Tuesday.
With their hold on a playoff spot slipping, Blues coach Ken Hitchcock held a post-game meeting after their latest defeat. They’ll play the Los Angeles Kings tonight and try to prove they can do more than just talk about their problems.
“If we don’t,” captain David Backes added, “we’re going to be a miserable team for a while. So, it’s time to put up tonight and we’ll see how we respond as a group.”
The Blues will have three off-days to think about what went wrong this time should they lose tonight. More importantly, they might fall out of the top eight during that time. As it is, only two points separate them and ninth place.
“It’s crunch time,” Andy McDonald said. “Everyone looks at the standings to see where we are, and how close it is.
“The expectations are so high in this room and guys want to play in the postseason. There have been a lot of meetings from the end of the last game until now, hopefully we understand that we have to bring it together now and they’re can’t be any excuses. The most important hockey is right now.”
The flip side is that a win tonight would be a big morale boost for the Blues at a critical time, especially seeing as it would be coming against the Kings. Including Los Angeles’ four-game sweep in the postseason, the Blues have suffered seven straight defeats to the Kings.
“They’re definitely a top test… I think the perfect test for us right now,” Oshie said.
Goaltender Jaroslav Halak is expected be in net for the Blues and the game will start at 8:00 p.m. ET.
Jul 31, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT
There’s a $500 million expansion fee to consider.
Jul 31, 2015, 10:24 AM EDT
This will be a key season for him.
Jul 31, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
Because once Voracek’s eight-year contract kicks in, they’ll be part of that list.
Jul 31, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Friday’s collection of links.
Jul 30, 2015, 10:27 PM EDT
Former NHL stars are among the list of likely candidates.
Jul 30, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
Has Buffalo set itself up for an era of long playoff runs?
Jul 30, 2015, 7:52 PM EDT
The deal is reportedly worth $5.6 million.
Jul 30, 2015, 7:11 PM EDT
At one point he was listed as the top European skater in the 2015 draft.
Jul 30, 2015, 5:52 PM EDT
The Flyers also have forwards Claude Giroux and Sean Couturier locked up.
Jul 30, 2015, 4:22 PM EDT
The 37-year-old still wants to continue his career.
Jul 30, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Along with Yao Ming.
Jul 30, 2015, 2:01 PM EDT
“Nobody benefits from a short-term deal like this, in particular, our hockey department.”
Jul 30, 2015, 1:15 PM EDT
Vancouver wasting little time locking up the target of Tuesday’s trade.
Jul 30, 2015, 12:50 PM EDT
Boston could use some depth on its back end.
Jul 30, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT
Hearing is scheduled for Friday at 9 a.m. ET.
Jul 30, 2015, 10:50 AM EDT
Alleged incident involved a female victim.
Jul 30, 2015, 9:50 AM EDT
As opposed to just his skill.
Jul 30, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
The former general manager “wasn’t prepared to make the changes that needed to be made.”
Jul 30, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Thursday’s collection of links.
Jul 29, 2015, 10:40 PM EDT
He played in 502 games, primarily with the Toronto Maple Leafs.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 15
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 57
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 25
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (60)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)