Mar 28, 2013, 3:33 PM EDT
The St. Louis Blues have lost three of their last four games and are coming off a 3-0 loss to the Edmonton Oilers on Tuesday.
With their hold on a playoff spot slipping, Blues coach Ken Hitchcock held a post-game meeting after their latest defeat. They’ll play the Los Angeles Kings tonight and try to prove they can do more than just talk about their problems.
“If we don’t,” captain David Backes added, “we’re going to be a miserable team for a while. So, it’s time to put up tonight and we’ll see how we respond as a group.”
The Blues will have three off-days to think about what went wrong this time should they lose tonight. More importantly, they might fall out of the top eight during that time. As it is, only two points separate them and ninth place.
“It’s crunch time,” Andy McDonald said. “Everyone looks at the standings to see where we are, and how close it is.
“The expectations are so high in this room and guys want to play in the postseason. There have been a lot of meetings from the end of the last game until now, hopefully we understand that we have to bring it together now and they’re can’t be any excuses. The most important hockey is right now.”
The flip side is that a win tonight would be a big morale boost for the Blues at a critical time, especially seeing as it would be coming against the Kings. Including Los Angeles’ four-game sweep in the postseason, the Blues have suffered seven straight defeats to the Kings.
“They’re definitely a top test… I think the perfect test for us right now,” Oshie said.
Goaltender Jaroslav Halak is expected be in net for the Blues and the game will start at 8:00 p.m. ET.
Sep 3, 2015, 3:25 PM EDT
His availability for the season opener is in doubt.
Sep 3, 2015, 2:03 PM EDT
Bruins d-man is using them as motivation for a bounce-back campaign.
Sep 3, 2015, 1:02 PM EDT
This should be good.
Sep 3, 2015, 11:42 AM EDT
Where he worked with — wait for it — current Minnesota starter Devan Dubnyk.
Sep 3, 2015, 10:53 AM EDT
In a shocking development, “money and term” are the sticking points.
Sep 3, 2015, 10:03 AM EDT
He could face up to five years in prison.
Sep 3, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
It would mark a record for the sale of a U.S.-based NHL team.
Sep 3, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Thursday’s collection of links.
Sep 2, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
Bakersfield and Stockton will play in West Sacramento, Calif. on Dec. 18.
Sep 2, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
As many as five teams are reportedly interested in acquiring the 26-year-old.
Sep 2, 2015, 8:45 PM EDT
He was expecting a two or three year contract.
Sep 2, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
The 26-year-old refuted an Ilta-Sanomat story.
Sep 2, 2015, 3:35 PM EDT
The 23-year-old appeared in 38 games with Chicago last season.
Sep 2, 2015, 1:57 PM EDT
“I’m a realist. If nothing happens, that’s the way it is.”
Sep 2, 2015, 12:34 PM EDT
Can he beat out Cam Talbot and Ben Scrivens?
Sep 2, 2015, 12:05 PM EDT
“I know that it’s not just me that feels I can be a lot better and be the player that I know I’m going to be and I want to be.”
Sep 2, 2015, 11:47 AM EDT
Another diamond in the rough?
Sep 2, 2015, 10:59 AM EDT
He also wanted them to get swept in the opening playoff round against Nashville, apparently.
Sep 2, 2015, 9:54 AM EDT
After missing most of last season with a back injury.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)