Mar 28, 2013, 11:54 AM EDT
Yesterday, as the hockey world was watching the Jarome Iginla saga unfold, it was reported that the NHL was set to make a decision on the Phoenix Coyotes situation. If no owner was found to buy the club from the league, a relocation could be announced very soon.
But as always, not all hope is lost in the desert. According to FOX Sports Arizona, there’s a “new suitor” — this one an investment banker from Alberta — that’s exploring a purchase of the team with the intention of keeping it in Glendale.
A source familiar with the situation confirmed to FOX Sports Arizona late Wednesday that AltaCorp Capital chairman and CEO George Gosbee is working with long-involved suitor Anthony LeBlanc on a proposal that will be presented to the NHL shortly. The two are part of what the source believes is the lead group in the attempt to purchase the long-rudderless franchise.
Back in February, it was reported that LeBlanc (Ice Edge Holdings) and Chicago businessman Matthew Hulsizer had teamed up and were “exploring options” with regards to a purchase.
It’s not clear if Hulsizer is still in the picture.
Ditto for Greg Jamison.
Meanwhile, Sportsnet’s John Shannon is also reporting Gosbee’s interest.
Writes Shannon: “Once a deal in principle is complete with the NHL, it would be at that point that a new lease could be negotiated with the City of Glendale.”
That, of course, could present its share of challenges, as Glendale’s new mayor has indicated his city isn’t the Coyotes’ “cash register.”
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 0
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 4
- Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews named Selke finalists 12
- Report: Zetterberg to return to Detroit lineup tonight (Update: Game-time decision) 23
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 31
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 19
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 88
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 102
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)