Mar 28, 2013, 11:54 AM EDT
Yesterday, as the hockey world was watching the Jarome Iginla saga unfold, it was reported that the NHL was set to make a decision on the Phoenix Coyotes situation. If no owner was found to buy the club from the league, a relocation could be announced very soon.
But as always, not all hope is lost in the desert. According to FOX Sports Arizona, there’s a “new suitor” — this one an investment banker from Alberta — that’s exploring a purchase of the team with the intention of keeping it in Glendale.
A source familiar with the situation confirmed to FOX Sports Arizona late Wednesday that AltaCorp Capital chairman and CEO George Gosbee is working with long-involved suitor Anthony LeBlanc on a proposal that will be presented to the NHL shortly. The two are part of what the source believes is the lead group in the attempt to purchase the long-rudderless franchise.
Back in February, it was reported that LeBlanc (Ice Edge Holdings) and Chicago businessman Matthew Hulsizer had teamed up and were “exploring options” with regards to a purchase.
It’s not clear if Hulsizer is still in the picture.
Ditto for Greg Jamison.
Meanwhile, Sportsnet’s John Shannon is also reporting Gosbee’s interest.
Writes Shannon: “Once a deal in principle is complete with the NHL, it would be at that point that a new lease could be negotiated with the City of Glendale.”
That, of course, could present its share of challenges, as Glendale’s new mayor has indicated his city isn’t the Coyotes’ “cash register.”
- No hearing scheduled for Richards after Couture spear 0
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 13
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 22
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 31
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 41
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 68
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 91
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 27
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (152)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (110)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)