Mar 28, 2013, 11:54 AM EDT
Yesterday, as the hockey world was watching the Jarome Iginla saga unfold, it was reported that the NHL was set to make a decision on the Phoenix Coyotes situation. If no owner was found to buy the club from the league, a relocation could be announced very soon.
But as always, not all hope is lost in the desert. According to FOX Sports Arizona, there’s a “new suitor” — this one an investment banker from Alberta — that’s exploring a purchase of the team with the intention of keeping it in Glendale.
A source familiar with the situation confirmed to FOX Sports Arizona late Wednesday that AltaCorp Capital chairman and CEO George Gosbee is working with long-involved suitor Anthony LeBlanc on a proposal that will be presented to the NHL shortly. The two are part of what the source believes is the lead group in the attempt to purchase the long-rudderless franchise.
Back in February, it was reported that LeBlanc (Ice Edge Holdings) and Chicago businessman Matthew Hulsizer had teamed up and were “exploring options” with regards to a purchase.
It’s not clear if Hulsizer is still in the picture.
Ditto for Greg Jamison.
Meanwhile, Sportsnet’s John Shannon is also reporting Gosbee’s interest.
Writes Shannon: “Once a deal in principle is complete with the NHL, it would be at that point that a new lease could be negotiated with the City of Glendale.”
That, of course, could present its share of challenges, as Glendale’s new mayor has indicated his city isn’t the Coyotes’ “cash register.”
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 28
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 111
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 79
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (112)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (79)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)