Mar 28, 2013, 11:54 AM EDT
Yesterday, as the hockey world was watching the Jarome Iginla saga unfold, it was reported that the NHL was set to make a decision on the Phoenix Coyotes situation. If no owner was found to buy the club from the league, a relocation could be announced very soon.
But as always, not all hope is lost in the desert. According to FOX Sports Arizona, there’s a “new suitor” — this one an investment banker from Alberta — that’s exploring a purchase of the team with the intention of keeping it in Glendale.
A source familiar with the situation confirmed to FOX Sports Arizona late Wednesday that AltaCorp Capital chairman and CEO George Gosbee is working with long-involved suitor Anthony LeBlanc on a proposal that will be presented to the NHL shortly. The two are part of what the source believes is the lead group in the attempt to purchase the long-rudderless franchise.
Back in February, it was reported that LeBlanc (Ice Edge Holdings) and Chicago businessman Matthew Hulsizer had teamed up and were “exploring options” with regards to a purchase.
It’s not clear if Hulsizer is still in the picture.
Ditto for Greg Jamison.
Meanwhile, Sportsnet’s John Shannon is also reporting Gosbee’s interest.
Writes Shannon: “Once a deal in principle is complete with the NHL, it would be at that point that a new lease could be negotiated with the City of Glendale.”
That, of course, could present its share of challenges, as Glendale’s new mayor has indicated his city isn’t the Coyotes’ “cash register.”
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 2
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 12
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 53
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 19
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 16
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)