Mar 28, 2013, 11:54 AM EDT
Yesterday, as the hockey world was watching the Jarome Iginla saga unfold, it was reported that the NHL was set to make a decision on the Phoenix Coyotes situation. If no owner was found to buy the club from the league, a relocation could be announced very soon.
But as always, not all hope is lost in the desert. According to FOX Sports Arizona, there’s a “new suitor” — this one an investment banker from Alberta — that’s exploring a purchase of the team with the intention of keeping it in Glendale.
A source familiar with the situation confirmed to FOX Sports Arizona late Wednesday that AltaCorp Capital chairman and CEO George Gosbee is working with long-involved suitor Anthony LeBlanc on a proposal that will be presented to the NHL shortly. The two are part of what the source believes is the lead group in the attempt to purchase the long-rudderless franchise.
Back in February, it was reported that LeBlanc (Ice Edge Holdings) and Chicago businessman Matthew Hulsizer had teamed up and were “exploring options” with regards to a purchase.
It’s not clear if Hulsizer is still in the picture.
Ditto for Greg Jamison.
Meanwhile, Sportsnet’s John Shannon is also reporting Gosbee’s interest.
Writes Shannon: “Once a deal in principle is complete with the NHL, it would be at that point that a new lease could be negotiated with the City of Glendale.”
That, of course, could present its share of challenges, as Glendale’s new mayor has indicated his city isn’t the Coyotes’ “cash register.”
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 56
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)