Mar 27, 2013, 11:50 AM EST
The NHL’s trade deadline is Wednesday, April 3. Following is a player that may be moved. For more “Trade Bait,” click here.
Nikolai Khabibulin‘s 43-save shutout versus the Blues on Tuesday couldn’t have come at a better time for the Oilers. Not only did Edmonton badly need the win to stay in the playoff race, it was able to showcase a potential trade chip in its veteran goalie.
Khabibulin, 40, is in the final year of a contract that features a salary and cap hit of $3.75 million. Yes, he had hip surgery in April and was forced to start the season on injured reserve, but he’s feeling much better now.
“When your body doesn’t hurt as much, it makes it more fun,” he said last night after being named the game’s first star.
In seven appearances this season, Khabibulin is 3-3-1 with a 1.93 goals-against average and .941 save percentage.
Who might be interested in adding a rental goalie at the deadline? Well…
St. Louis has the worst team save percentage in the NHL (.883).
Free-falling Carolina may want to make a move. Like, right now.
Toronto could use a veteran to guard against another late-season collapse.
And as hard as Blackhawks fans try to convince themselves it’s not, Chicago’s goaltending is still a question mark heading into the playoffs. It was great in January and February; it hasn’t been fantastic in March.
- Trade: Rangers land Keith Yandle from Coyotes 4
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 19
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 66
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (131)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (66)