Mar 27, 2013, 10:15 PM EDT
The NHL’s trade deadline is Wednesday, April 3. Following is a player that may be moved. For more “Trade Bait,” click here.
Considering the fact that it wasn’t clear that Lubomir Visnovsky would even play this season, it’s surprising that the New York Islanders defenseman faces an interesting set of options as the trade deadline approaches.
On one hand, he could follow Evgeni Nabokov‘s path of resistance followed by acceptance of the Islanders by signing a contract extension. ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun reports that Isles GM Garth Snow reached out to at least have that discussion.
There aren’t specific rumors about Visnovsky’s services, but there’s plenty of logic to landing the 36-year-old defenseman. MLive.com names the Detroit Red Wings as one team that could use the offensively gifted blueliner.
While Visnovsky’s Islanders numbers are modest (nine points in 21 games), the Slovakian has seasons of 58, 67 and 68 points on his resume (with the last coming in 2010-11 with Anaheim).
He brings plenty of appeal as a rental; while his cap hit is $5.6 million, it covers a salary of just $3 million this season. That contract expires this summer, so he’ll feel plenty motivated to put up numbers – whether it’s with the Islanders or not.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 11
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)