Mar 27, 2013, 10:15 PM EST
The NHL’s trade deadline is Wednesday, April 3. Following is a player that may be moved. For more “Trade Bait,” click here.
Considering the fact that it wasn’t clear that Lubomir Visnovsky would even play this season, it’s surprising that the New York Islanders defenseman faces an interesting set of options as the trade deadline approaches.
On one hand, he could follow Evgeni Nabokov‘s path of resistance followed by acceptance of the Islanders by signing a contract extension. ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun reports that Isles GM Garth Snow reached out to at least have that discussion.
There aren’t specific rumors about Visnovsky’s services, but there’s plenty of logic to landing the 36-year-old defenseman. MLive.com names the Detroit Red Wings as one team that could use the offensively gifted blueliner.
While Visnovsky’s Islanders numbers are modest (nine points in 21 games), the Slovakian has seasons of 58, 67 and 68 points on his resume (with the last coming in 2010-11 with Anaheim).
He brings plenty of appeal as a rental; while his cap hit is $5.6 million, it covers a salary of just $3 million this season. That contract expires this summer, so he’ll feel plenty motivated to put up numbers – whether it’s with the Islanders or not.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)