Mar 27, 2013, 10:31 AM EDT
The NHL’s trade deadline is Wednesday, April 3. Following is a player that may be moved. For more “Trade Bait,” click here.
At first glance, Keith Yandle doesn’t look like an obvious player to be dealt. Sure the Phoenix Coyotes have lost six straight games and might be sellers on April 3 if they descend any further.
“We’re right at the cliff as far as I’m concerned,” Coyotes Don Maloney recently told Fox Sports. “If we slide much further, all bets are off. We’re going to go out and find assets. This is reality.”
Even still, Yandle is a top-tier offensive defenseman signed through the 2015-16 campaign. You don’t find players like that on the market very often, but by the same token, the Coyotes could command a high price if they decide to sell him now.
The rise of 21-year-old blueliner Oliver Ekman-Larsson, who recently inked a six-year, $33 million extension arguably makes Yandle expendable, but more importantly, he might not be what they need the most right now.
The Coyotes’ offense has been a huge issue lately, as evidenced by the fact that they set a new franchise record for most consecutive games without a goal.
As Sportsnet’s Mark Spector recently speculated, the Coyotes might be open to dealing Yandle for a young forward, similar to the St. Louis-Colorado deal in 2011 that included Erik Johnson, Kevin Shattenkirk, Chris Stewart, Jay McClement, and picks.
Because Yandle wouldn’t be a rental, such a trade might work for a team like the Philadelphia Flyers, who have also been linked to San Jose Sharks defenseman Dan Boyle, or the Edmonton Oilers, but if the Coyotes decide to trade Yandle, there will likely be plenty of suitors.
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 1
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 13
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 8
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 70
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 66
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)