Mar 27, 2013, 10:31 AM EDT
The NHL’s trade deadline is Wednesday, April 3. Following is a player that may be moved. For more “Trade Bait,” click here.
At first glance, Keith Yandle doesn’t look like an obvious player to be dealt. Sure the Phoenix Coyotes have lost six straight games and might be sellers on April 3 if they descend any further.
“We’re right at the cliff as far as I’m concerned,” Coyotes Don Maloney recently told Fox Sports. “If we slide much further, all bets are off. We’re going to go out and find assets. This is reality.”
Even still, Yandle is a top-tier offensive defenseman signed through the 2015-16 campaign. You don’t find players like that on the market very often, but by the same token, the Coyotes could command a high price if they decide to sell him now.
The rise of 21-year-old blueliner Oliver Ekman-Larsson, who recently inked a six-year, $33 million extension arguably makes Yandle expendable, but more importantly, he might not be what they need the most right now.
The Coyotes’ offense has been a huge issue lately, as evidenced by the fact that they set a new franchise record for most consecutive games without a goal.
As Sportsnet’s Mark Spector recently speculated, the Coyotes might be open to dealing Yandle for a young forward, similar to the St. Louis-Colorado deal in 2011 that included Erik Johnson, Kevin Shattenkirk, Chris Stewart, Jay McClement, and picks.
Because Yandle wouldn’t be a rental, such a trade might work for a team like the Philadelphia Flyers, who have also been linked to San Jose Sharks defenseman Dan Boyle, or the Edmonton Oilers, but if the Coyotes decide to trade Yandle, there will likely be plenty of suitors.
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 6
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 8
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)