Mar 27, 2013, 10:31 AM EDT
The NHL’s trade deadline is Wednesday, April 3. Following is a player that may be moved. For more “Trade Bait,” click here.
At first glance, Keith Yandle doesn’t look like an obvious player to be dealt. Sure the Phoenix Coyotes have lost six straight games and might be sellers on April 3 if they descend any further.
“We’re right at the cliff as far as I’m concerned,” Coyotes Don Maloney recently told Fox Sports. “If we slide much further, all bets are off. We’re going to go out and find assets. This is reality.”
Even still, Yandle is a top-tier offensive defenseman signed through the 2015-16 campaign. You don’t find players like that on the market very often, but by the same token, the Coyotes could command a high price if they decide to sell him now.
The rise of 21-year-old blueliner Oliver Ekman-Larsson, who recently inked a six-year, $33 million extension arguably makes Yandle expendable, but more importantly, he might not be what they need the most right now.
The Coyotes’ offense has been a huge issue lately, as evidenced by the fact that they set a new franchise record for most consecutive games without a goal.
As Sportsnet’s Mark Spector recently speculated, the Coyotes might be open to dealing Yandle for a young forward, similar to the St. Louis-Colorado deal in 2011 that included Erik Johnson, Kevin Shattenkirk, Chris Stewart, Jay McClement, and picks.
Because Yandle wouldn’t be a rental, such a trade might work for a team like the Philadelphia Flyers, who have also been linked to San Jose Sharks defenseman Dan Boyle, or the Edmonton Oilers, but if the Coyotes decide to trade Yandle, there will likely be plenty of suitors.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 21
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 26
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)