Mar 27, 2013, 5:58 PM EST
Of all the things that have gone wrong for the Florida Panthers in 2013, Jonathan Huberdeau isn’t one of them.
Still only 19 years old, Huberdeau has 12 goals and nine assists in 34 games, ranking him second in NHL rookie scoring behind Tampa Bay’s Cory Conacher (who’s four years older).
However, with no goals in his last nine games, Huberdeau’s pace has slowed in March.
“I’m still learning. I have a lot to learn,” Huberdeau said this week, per the Miami Herald. “I got off to a hot start but I need to keep going. Things have been slow a bit, but I need to keep going. Keep things simple. You play so many games in the NHL, you can’t be negative if you have a bad game.”
If Huberdeau’s slump has done anything, it’s made the race for the Calder Trophy — something no Florida Panther has ever won, despite all the high draft picks the franchise has had — a lot more interesting.
Top candidates include Huberdeau, Conacher, and a surprise in Montreal forward Brendan Gallagher.
Top 3 rookie NHL scoring
Cory Conacher — 24 points (9 G, 15 A) in 33 games
Jonathan Huberdeau — 21 points (12 G, 9 A) in 34 games
Brendan Gallagher — 18 points (9 G, 9 A) in 28 games
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 18
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 48
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 39
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)