Mar 27, 2013, 5:58 PM EDT
Of all the things that have gone wrong for the Florida Panthers in 2013, Jonathan Huberdeau isn’t one of them.
Still only 19 years old, Huberdeau has 12 goals and nine assists in 34 games, ranking him second in NHL rookie scoring behind Tampa Bay’s Cory Conacher (who’s four years older).
However, with no goals in his last nine games, Huberdeau’s pace has slowed in March.
“I’m still learning. I have a lot to learn,” Huberdeau said this week, per the Miami Herald. “I got off to a hot start but I need to keep going. Things have been slow a bit, but I need to keep going. Keep things simple. You play so many games in the NHL, you can’t be negative if you have a bad game.”
If Huberdeau’s slump has done anything, it’s made the race for the Calder Trophy — something no Florida Panther has ever won, despite all the high draft picks the franchise has had — a lot more interesting.
Top candidates include Huberdeau, Conacher, and a surprise in Montreal forward Brendan Gallagher.
Top 3 rookie NHL scoring
Cory Conacher — 24 points (9 G, 15 A) in 33 games
Jonathan Huberdeau — 21 points (12 G, 9 A) in 34 games
Brendan Gallagher — 18 points (9 G, 9 A) in 28 games
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 5
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 37
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 10
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)