Mar 27, 2013, 5:58 PM EDT
Of all the things that have gone wrong for the Florida Panthers in 2013, Jonathan Huberdeau isn’t one of them.
Still only 19 years old, Huberdeau has 12 goals and nine assists in 34 games, ranking him second in NHL rookie scoring behind Tampa Bay’s Cory Conacher (who’s four years older).
However, with no goals in his last nine games, Huberdeau’s pace has slowed in March.
“I’m still learning. I have a lot to learn,” Huberdeau said this week, per the Miami Herald. “I got off to a hot start but I need to keep going. Things have been slow a bit, but I need to keep going. Keep things simple. You play so many games in the NHL, you can’t be negative if you have a bad game.”
If Huberdeau’s slump has done anything, it’s made the race for the Calder Trophy — something no Florida Panther has ever won, despite all the high draft picks the franchise has had — a lot more interesting.
Top candidates include Huberdeau, Conacher, and a surprise in Montreal forward Brendan Gallagher.
Top 3 rookie NHL scoring
Cory Conacher — 24 points (9 G, 15 A) in 33 games
Jonathan Huberdeau — 21 points (12 G, 9 A) in 34 games
Brendan Gallagher — 18 points (9 G, 9 A) in 28 games
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)