Mar 27, 2013, 9:12 PM EST
A couple weeks ago, rumors circulated that Ryan Miller‘s “days are numbered” with the Buffalo Sabres, although that could have meant the summer or even next season. There’s a slight chance that number might be even lower.
Rogers Sportsnet’s Daren Millard reports that Miller’s name is “in play” amid the Sabres’ talks with the Tampa Bay Lightning.
That would be surprising for a reason that goes beyond Miller’s face-of-the-franchise status with Buffalo: the Lightning play in the same division (and will in realignment, too).
Then again, if you’re merely swinging for the fences return-wise, the Bolts might be the best place to look. Goaltending and defense have been a huge headache for Tampa Bay, so Miller could potentially fill that need in a big way.
Naturally, with any trade rumor, it’s crucial to take it with a grain of salt. Even rumored discussions that actually exist don’t always come to fruition.
Still, if you’re looking for another big chip to be moved, perhaps the 32-year-old star could be in the mix.
- In praise of the Hamburglar 7
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 4
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 9
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)