Mar 27, 2013, 9:12 PM EDT
A couple weeks ago, rumors circulated that Ryan Miller‘s “days are numbered” with the Buffalo Sabres, although that could have meant the summer or even next season. There’s a slight chance that number might be even lower.
Rogers Sportsnet’s Daren Millard reports that Miller’s name is “in play” amid the Sabres’ talks with the Tampa Bay Lightning.
That would be surprising for a reason that goes beyond Miller’s face-of-the-franchise status with Buffalo: the Lightning play in the same division (and will in realignment, too).
Then again, if you’re merely swinging for the fences return-wise, the Bolts might be the best place to look. Goaltending and defense have been a huge headache for Tampa Bay, so Miller could potentially fill that need in a big way.
Naturally, with any trade rumor, it’s crucial to take it with a grain of salt. Even rumored discussions that actually exist don’t always come to fruition.
Still, if you’re looking for another big chip to be moved, perhaps the 32-year-old star could be in the mix.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 33
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 13
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 94
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 17
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (94)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)