Mar 27, 2013, 9:12 PM EDT
A couple weeks ago, rumors circulated that Ryan Miller‘s “days are numbered” with the Buffalo Sabres, although that could have meant the summer or even next season. There’s a slight chance that number might be even lower.
Rogers Sportsnet’s Daren Millard reports that Miller’s name is “in play” amid the Sabres’ talks with the Tampa Bay Lightning.
That would be surprising for a reason that goes beyond Miller’s face-of-the-franchise status with Buffalo: the Lightning play in the same division (and will in realignment, too).
Then again, if you’re merely swinging for the fences return-wise, the Bolts might be the best place to look. Goaltending and defense have been a huge headache for Tampa Bay, so Miller could potentially fill that need in a big way.
Naturally, with any trade rumor, it’s crucial to take it with a grain of salt. Even rumored discussions that actually exist don’t always come to fruition.
Still, if you’re looking for another big chip to be moved, perhaps the 32-year-old star could be in the mix.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)