Mar 27, 2013, 9:12 PM EDT
A couple weeks ago, rumors circulated that Ryan Miller‘s “days are numbered” with the Buffalo Sabres, although that could have meant the summer or even next season. There’s a slight chance that number might be even lower.
Rogers Sportsnet’s Daren Millard reports that Miller’s name is “in play” amid the Sabres’ talks with the Tampa Bay Lightning.
That would be surprising for a reason that goes beyond Miller’s face-of-the-franchise status with Buffalo: the Lightning play in the same division (and will in realignment, too).
Then again, if you’re merely swinging for the fences return-wise, the Bolts might be the best place to look. Goaltending and defense have been a huge headache for Tampa Bay, so Miller could potentially fill that need in a big way.
Naturally, with any trade rumor, it’s crucial to take it with a grain of salt. Even rumored discussions that actually exist don’t always come to fruition.
Still, if you’re looking for another big chip to be moved, perhaps the 32-year-old star could be in the mix.
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 16
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 5
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 38
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 33
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21