Mar 27, 2013, 11:18 PM EST
We can all relax for one night, at least. There appears to be no announcement coming tonight about a possible blockbuster Jarome Iginla trade that could see the Boston Bruins pick up the long-time Calgary Flames captain.
Rumors have been circulating for some time now about Iginla’s future in Calgary.
The speculation hit a fever pitch Wednesday when it was first reported that Iginla, who has 525 goals in 1,219 career game with the Flames, was a healthy scratch from Calgary’s lineup against the Colorado Avalanche.
His absence from the Flames’ lineup Wednesday was the first time since the 2006-07 season that Iginla had missed a regular season game for Calgary.
Vicki Hall of the Calgary Herald reported that a trade between the Flames and Bruins for Iginla was imminent and that coming to Calgary as part of the deal would be a first-round pick and prospects Matt Bartkowski, a defenseman, and Alex Khoklachev, a center.
Of course, there were conflicting reports that a deal could come down tonight, which would’ve stolen the headlines across the hockey landscape.
Amid all the rumors and speculation, the Bruins, Stanley Cup champs just two years ago, appear to be the frontrunners in the Iginla sweepstakes.
However, it’s also been reported that the L.A. Kings and Chicago Blackhawks are interested in acquiring Iginla, who is 35 years old and has nine goals and 22 points in 31 games this season for Calgary.
Iginla is a $7 million cap hit this season and is slated to become an unrestricted free agent this summer.
Iginla, originally a first-round pick, 11th overall, of the Dallas Stars in 1995, began his NHL career in Calgary in the 1996-97 season. In 2004, he helped the Flames to within one win of the Stanley Cup, but that prize went to the Tampa Bay Lightning in Game 7.
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 9
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 14
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 36
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)