Mar 27, 2013, 11:18 PM EST
We can all relax for one night, at least. There appears to be no announcement coming tonight about a possible blockbuster Jarome Iginla trade that could see the Boston Bruins pick up the long-time Calgary Flames captain.
Rumors have been circulating for some time now about Iginla’s future in Calgary.
The speculation hit a fever pitch Wednesday when it was first reported that Iginla, who has 525 goals in 1,219 career game with the Flames, was a healthy scratch from Calgary’s lineup against the Colorado Avalanche.
His absence from the Flames’ lineup Wednesday was the first time since the 2006-07 season that Iginla had missed a regular season game for Calgary.
Vicki Hall of the Calgary Herald reported that a trade between the Flames and Bruins for Iginla was imminent and that coming to Calgary as part of the deal would be a first-round pick and prospects Matt Bartkowski, a defenseman, and Alex Khoklachev, a center.
Of course, there were conflicting reports that a deal could come down tonight, which would’ve stolen the headlines across the hockey landscape.
Amid all the rumors and speculation, the Bruins, Stanley Cup champs just two years ago, appear to be the frontrunners in the Iginla sweepstakes.
However, it’s also been reported that the L.A. Kings and Chicago Blackhawks are interested in acquiring Iginla, who is 35 years old and has nine goals and 22 points in 31 games this season for Calgary.
Iginla is a $7 million cap hit this season and is slated to become an unrestricted free agent this summer.
Iginla, originally a first-round pick, 11th overall, of the Dallas Stars in 1995, began his NHL career in Calgary in the 1996-97 season. In 2004, he helped the Flames to within one win of the Stanley Cup, but that prize went to the Tampa Bay Lightning in Game 7.
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 5
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 6
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 3
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8