Mar 27, 2013, 11:45 AM EST
The Pittsburgh Penguins’ activated defenseman Kris Letang from the injured reserve list on Tuesday so he could participate in last night’s 1-0 victory over the Montreal Canadiens.
He logged 24:20 minutes in that contest, but after the game it was reported that Letang had suffered a broken toe and still wasn’t completely over his original lower-body problem.
Although the Pittsburgh Penguins haven’t provided a full update on Letang’s status, they have placed him back on the injured reserve list with what they’re calling a lower-body injury.
In other words, Letang will be out for at least one week.
The Penguins have also summoned 21-year-old blueliner Simon Despres, who has seven points and a plus-10 rating with Pittsburgh this season.
Meanwhile, recently acquired defenseman Douglas Murray should make his Penguins’ debut in the near future.
Goaltender Tomas Vokoun was already scheduled to get the nod on Thursday, but Fleury might serve as the backup. However, it’s worth emphasizing that Fleury’s evaluation isn’t complete.
Evgeni Malkin (shoulder) remains day-to-day.
- Video: Ovechkin becomes sixth fastest player to 400 goals in Caps win 3
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 14
- Assault charges against Varlamov dropped 31
- Carlyle on HBO presence: ‘It’s not normal what we’re living right now’ 5
- Orpik: First days after Thornton attack were ‘miserable’ 69
- Video: Dustin Brown ejected for kneeing, Tomas Hertl won’t return (update) 64
- No supplemental discipline for Caps’ Wilson 32
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 7
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 21
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 54
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (103)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head (71)