Mar 27, 2013, 11:45 AM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins’ activated defenseman Kris Letang from the injured reserve list on Tuesday so he could participate in last night’s 1-0 victory over the Montreal Canadiens.
He logged 24:20 minutes in that contest, but after the game it was reported that Letang had suffered a broken toe and still wasn’t completely over his original lower-body problem.
Although the Pittsburgh Penguins haven’t provided a full update on Letang’s status, they have placed him back on the injured reserve list with what they’re calling a lower-body injury.
In other words, Letang will be out for at least one week.
The Penguins have also summoned 21-year-old blueliner Simon Despres, who has seven points and a plus-10 rating with Pittsburgh this season.
Meanwhile, recently acquired defenseman Douglas Murray should make his Penguins’ debut in the near future.
Goaltender Tomas Vokoun was already scheduled to get the nod on Thursday, but Fleury might serve as the backup. However, it’s worth emphasizing that Fleury’s evaluation isn’t complete.
Evgeni Malkin (shoulder) remains day-to-day.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 23
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)