Mar 27, 2013, 1:59 PM EDT
A house of cards.
All of the above have been used to described the 2013 Anaheim Ducks.
Mostly, it’s been advocates of hockey’s advanced statistics (see: Corsi, Fenwick, and PDO) that have been waiting for the Ducks to collapse.
Anaheim, the stats guys say, has benefited from an unsustainable shooting percentage and an unsustainable save percentage.
Or, to put it another way, the Ducks were lucky to start the season 22-3-4.
Now, after three straight losses, Anaheim is facing some adversity.
“There’s always peaks and valleys, and we’re trying to get out of this valley as quick as possible and start climbing back in the right direction,” forward Corey Perry said after Monday’s 5-3 home loss to the Sharks. “We didn’t start well, and eventually it caught up to us. You don’t like losing at home, but if we play the same way we played in the second half of the game, we’re going to be successful.”
The Ducks kick off a four-game road trip tonight in San Jose, to be followed by stops in Chicago, Columbus, and Dallas.
Others, obviously, aren’t so sure.
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 2
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 19
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 15
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 38
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)