Mar 27, 2013, 11:36 PM EDT
The shoulder injury to New Jersey Devils star forward Ilya Kovalchuk could force the hand of general manager Lou Lamoriello prior to the NHL’s April 3 trade deadline.
But, even though it’s reported the Devils are seeking a forward with goal-scoring capabilities, Lamoriello seems interested only in acquiring complimentary players rather than a massive blockbuster move.
“There is no question in my mind a splash usually upsets things. Adding pieces complements,” Lamoriello told the Star Ledger.
“That’s not saying it will always be the case, but adding pieces would be more the norm (for the Devils).”
The original prognosis on Kovalchuk’s shoulder injury was that he could be out two-to-four weeks.
The Devils, last year’s Eastern Conference champions, are currently seventh in the Eastern Conference standings, two points up on the eighth-place New York Rangers.
But putting the puck in the net has continued to be an issue, even when Kovalchuk was healthy.
New Jersey sits 25th in the league, averaging 2.42 goals-for per game.
Even before the injury, Kovalchuk was struggling to find his scoring touch. He had 10 goals in 32 games and was in the midst of a five-game drought without a goal.
Oct 31, 2014, 12:16 PM EDT
Hurricanes forward was benched Tuesday in Vancouver.
Oct 31, 2014, 12:01 PM EDT
“We’ve given up a lot of goals and we need to be better, help our goaltenders out.”
Oct 31, 2014, 11:58 AM EDT
Antti Raanta retains the backup gig behind Corey Crawford.
Oct 31, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT
Dallas has lost two straight.
Oct 31, 2014, 10:58 AM EDT
As most expected they’d do with the No. 2 overall pick.
Oct 31, 2014, 10:39 AM EDT
With AK Bars Kazan.
Oct 31, 2014, 10:33 AM EDT
They’re building a $350 million arena with AEG, which owns the Kings.
Oct 31, 2014, 9:57 AM EDT
The Canucks forward has been fined twice but never suspended.
Oct 31, 2014, 8:50 AM EDT
Just replace Chris Pronger with his name from your previous jokes …
Oct 31, 2014, 8:02 AM EDT
Phaneuf as Spider-Man is … odd.
Oct 31, 2014, 2:30 AM EDT
Rookie Jonathan Drouin played less than 10 minutes in the win.
Oct 31, 2014, 2:00 AM EDT
Not quite a fight.
Oct 31, 2014, 1:34 AM EDT
Michel Therrien: “That was a dirty hit to the head”
Oct 31, 2014, 1:01 AM EDT
Canucks conclude October with a 7-3 record.
Oct 31, 2014, 12:40 AM EDT
Picked up his 1,000th point.
Oct 31, 2014, 12:02 AM EDT
Scores twice in 5-0 win.
Oct 30, 2014, 11:26 PM EDT
Adds defensive depth.
Oct 30, 2014, 10:56 PM EDT
Allegedly endorsed a New York Islanders pay check to cover gambling debt
Oct 30, 2014, 9:55 PM EDT
End an 0-18 skid.
Oct 30, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
The play was reviewed and was ruled a good goal.
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 2
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 1
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 16
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 31
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 24
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)