Mar 27, 2013, 11:36 PM EDT
The shoulder injury to New Jersey Devils star forward Ilya Kovalchuk could force the hand of general manager Lou Lamoriello prior to the NHL’s April 3 trade deadline.
But, even though it’s reported the Devils are seeking a forward with goal-scoring capabilities, Lamoriello seems interested only in acquiring complimentary players rather than a massive blockbuster move.
“There is no question in my mind a splash usually upsets things. Adding pieces complements,” Lamoriello told the Star Ledger.
“That’s not saying it will always be the case, but adding pieces would be more the norm (for the Devils).”
The original prognosis on Kovalchuk’s shoulder injury was that he could be out two-to-four weeks.
The Devils, last year’s Eastern Conference champions, are currently seventh in the Eastern Conference standings, two points up on the eighth-place New York Rangers.
But putting the puck in the net has continued to be an issue, even when Kovalchuk was healthy.
New Jersey sits 25th in the league, averaging 2.42 goals-for per game.
Even before the injury, Kovalchuk was struggling to find his scoring touch. He had 10 goals in 32 games and was in the midst of a five-game drought without a goal.
May 30, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
The projected first overall pick didn’t disappoint this season.
May 30, 2015, 4:45 PM EDT
Jeff Blashill (pictured) is the front runner for the job.
May 30, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
He will be an unrestricted free agent in July.
May 30, 2015, 2:48 PM EDT
The search for his replacement continues.
May 30, 2015, 1:45 PM EDT
Fleischmann draws in for Etem.
May 30, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
For the first time in his career the 27-year-old is about to hit the open market.
May 30, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT
He’ll be eligible to re-enter next month’s NHL Draft.
May 30, 2015, 10:45 AM EDT
He met with doctors in Buffalo on Thursday.
May 30, 2015, 9:45 AM EDT
He is currently an assistant coach in Nashville.
May 30, 2015, 1:08 AM EDT
Hard to blame the goalie in this one.
May 30, 2015, 12:17 AM EDT
“I don’t know if we’re so young and dumb and don’t know any better…”
May 29, 2015, 11:31 PM EDT
Might explain what occurred in the first period.
May 29, 2015, 10:55 PM EDT
Tampa Bay awaits the winner of the Blackhawks-Ducks series.
May 29, 2015, 10:30 PM EDT
Is it enough?
May 29, 2015, 9:53 PM EDT
Game 7 goes Saturday.
May 29, 2015, 8:54 PM EDT
Something to keep an eye on.
May 29, 2015, 8:21 PM EDT
Rangers also make one change to the lineup.
May 29, 2015, 7:20 PM EDT
The winner, as you know, goes to the Stanley Cup Final.
May 29, 2015, 6:39 PM EDT
“I’ve met with Nick several times and he knows he made a terrible mistake.”
May 29, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
And it looks like Tomas Fleischmann might replace Emerson Etem, again.
- After prepping for three years, Franson excited to test free agency 7
- Sabres’ Kane (shoulder) ‘ahead of schedule’ with recovery 16
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 37
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 21
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 76
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 32
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 58
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 14
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (76)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (58)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)