Mar 27, 2013, 11:36 PM EDT
The shoulder injury to New Jersey Devils star forward Ilya Kovalchuk could force the hand of general manager Lou Lamoriello prior to the NHL’s April 3 trade deadline.
But, even though it’s reported the Devils are seeking a forward with goal-scoring capabilities, Lamoriello seems interested only in acquiring complimentary players rather than a massive blockbuster move.
“There is no question in my mind a splash usually upsets things. Adding pieces complements,” Lamoriello told the Star Ledger.
“That’s not saying it will always be the case, but adding pieces would be more the norm (for the Devils).”
The original prognosis on Kovalchuk’s shoulder injury was that he could be out two-to-four weeks.
The Devils, last year’s Eastern Conference champions, are currently seventh in the Eastern Conference standings, two points up on the eighth-place New York Rangers.
But putting the puck in the net has continued to be an issue, even when Kovalchuk was healthy.
New Jersey sits 25th in the league, averaging 2.42 goals-for per game.
Even before the injury, Kovalchuk was struggling to find his scoring touch. He had 10 goals in 32 games and was in the midst of a five-game drought without a goal.
Apr 23, 2014, 10:39 PM EDT
Is history repeating itself?
Apr 23, 2014, 10:12 PM EDT
Pittsburgh once again can’t hold a team to less than three goals.
Apr 23, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
Many wonder why he played the puck.
Apr 23, 2014, 9:36 PM EDT
He was hurt on Saturday.
Apr 23, 2014, 9:27 PM EDT
We ask, you answer.
Apr 23, 2014, 9:11 PM EDT
He was punished for a knee-on-knee hit to Colorado’s Tyson Barrie.
Apr 23, 2014, 8:37 PM EDT
Chicago is trying to even the series.
Apr 23, 2014, 8:03 PM EDT
But Pittsburgh’s lead is far from secure.
Apr 23, 2014, 7:47 PM EDT
He was second in the regular season scoring race.
Apr 23, 2014, 7:33 PM EDT
San Jose will go for the sweep on Thursday.
Apr 23, 2014, 7:03 PM EDT
Nick Schultz took his place.
Apr 23, 2014, 6:46 PM EDT
The game will start at 8:00 p.m. ET.
Apr 23, 2014, 6:17 PM EDT
Neither team has done a good job of playing with the lead.
Apr 23, 2014, 5:39 PM EDT
He made his series debut in the late stages of Game 3.
Apr 23, 2014, 4:33 PM EDT
“I do look cross-eyed for sure.”
Apr 23, 2014, 4:21 PM EDT
Patrick Roy made it official on Wednesday.
Apr 23, 2014, 3:22 PM EDT
There he is with Patrick Bordeleau’s glove in his face.
Apr 23, 2014, 2:43 PM EDT
Physical battle starting to take its toll.
Apr 23, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT
Are changes needed?
Apr 23, 2014, 2:33 PM EDT
All the goals came against Ilya Bryzgalov, which is worth mentioning.
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 45
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 68
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 11
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 49
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 86
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)