Mar 27, 2013, 2:02 PM EDT
That might still prove to be the case, but the 22-year-old defenseman has made progress recently. He started skating a few weeks ago and even took part in the Ottawa Senators practice on Wednesday, TSN reported.
Senators GM Bryan Murray cautioned that Cowen practicing doesn’t necessarily mean that he’s close to returning. Murray doesn’t have an exact timetable for Cowen’s return yet, but he’s hoping to get the 6-foot-5 Saskatchewan-native back by late April.
Ottawa will play in its final regular season game on April 27, but they’re likely to make the playoffs. Getting Cowen back would be a significant boost for a Senators’ team that’s been plagued by major injuries.
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 13
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 11
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 33
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 110
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 30
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 77
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7