Mar 27, 2013, 2:02 PM EDT
That might still prove to be the case, but the 22-year-old defenseman has made progress recently. He started skating a few weeks ago and even took part in the Ottawa Senators practice on Wednesday, TSN reported.
Senators GM Bryan Murray cautioned that Cowen practicing doesn’t necessarily mean that he’s close to returning. Murray doesn’t have an exact timetable for Cowen’s return yet, but he’s hoping to get the 6-foot-5 Saskatchewan-native back by late April.
Ottawa will play in its final regular season game on April 27, but they’re likely to make the playoffs. Getting Cowen back would be a significant boost for a Senators’ team that’s been plagued by major injuries.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 72
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)