Mar 27, 2013, 4:16 PM EDT
Just in case you didn’t hear him the first time, Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli said it twice.
“I’m not trading Malcolm Subban,” Chiarelli told 98.5 The Sports Hub today. “He’s young, a very good goalie prospect and I see him being a big part of our future. We have some goalie depth, but I can tell you I’m not trading Malcolm Subban.”
Chiarelli made the declaration after Subban’s name surfaced in trade rumors related to Calgary captain Jarome Iginla.
Subban, 19, was drafted 24th overall by the Bruins in June. As his draft position suggests, he’s one of the top goaltending prospects in hockey.
Of course, the Bruins already have an excellent goalie in Tuukka Rask. In fact, he may end up winning the Vezina Trophy this season.
But Rask’s future with the club remains somewhat in the air. The 26-year-old is a pending restricted free agent. And while there’s been talk of a long-term extension, nothing has been signed yet.
Besides, we all know how quickly a goalie can fall out of favor in the NHL. It’s never a bad idea to have a highly touted up-and-comer in the organization.
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 5
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 6
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 20
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 26
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 41
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 20