Mar 27, 2013, 4:16 PM EDT
Just in case you didn’t hear him the first time, Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli said it twice.
“I’m not trading Malcolm Subban,” Chiarelli told 98.5 The Sports Hub today. “He’s young, a very good goalie prospect and I see him being a big part of our future. We have some goalie depth, but I can tell you I’m not trading Malcolm Subban.”
Chiarelli made the declaration after Subban’s name surfaced in trade rumors related to Calgary captain Jarome Iginla.
Subban, 19, was drafted 24th overall by the Bruins in June. As his draft position suggests, he’s one of the top goaltending prospects in hockey.
Of course, the Bruins already have an excellent goalie in Tuukka Rask. In fact, he may end up winning the Vezina Trophy this season.
But Rask’s future with the club remains somewhat in the air. The 26-year-old is a pending restricted free agent. And while there’s been talk of a long-term extension, nothing has been signed yet.
Besides, we all know how quickly a goalie can fall out of favor in the NHL. It’s never a bad idea to have a highly touted up-and-comer in the organization.
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 4
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 15
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 20
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)