Mar 27, 2013, 4:16 PM EDT
Just in case you didn’t hear him the first time, Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli said it twice.
“I’m not trading Malcolm Subban,” Chiarelli told 98.5 The Sports Hub today. “He’s young, a very good goalie prospect and I see him being a big part of our future. We have some goalie depth, but I can tell you I’m not trading Malcolm Subban.”
Chiarelli made the declaration after Subban’s name surfaced in trade rumors related to Calgary captain Jarome Iginla.
Subban, 19, was drafted 24th overall by the Bruins in June. As his draft position suggests, he’s one of the top goaltending prospects in hockey.
Of course, the Bruins already have an excellent goalie in Tuukka Rask. In fact, he may end up winning the Vezina Trophy this season.
But Rask’s future with the club remains somewhat in the air. The 26-year-old is a pending restricted free agent. And while there’s been talk of a long-term extension, nothing has been signed yet.
Besides, we all know how quickly a goalie can fall out of favor in the NHL. It’s never a bad idea to have a highly touted up-and-comer in the organization.
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 16
- Your Lightning-Rangers Game 7 officials are… 1
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 48
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 12
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 45
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 9
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)