Mar 27, 2013, 4:16 PM EDT
Just in case you didn’t hear him the first time, Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli said it twice.
“I’m not trading Malcolm Subban,” Chiarelli told 98.5 The Sports Hub today. “He’s young, a very good goalie prospect and I see him being a big part of our future. We have some goalie depth, but I can tell you I’m not trading Malcolm Subban.”
Chiarelli made the declaration after Subban’s name surfaced in trade rumors related to Calgary captain Jarome Iginla.
Subban, 19, was drafted 24th overall by the Bruins in June. As his draft position suggests, he’s one of the top goaltending prospects in hockey.
Of course, the Bruins already have an excellent goalie in Tuukka Rask. In fact, he may end up winning the Vezina Trophy this season.
But Rask’s future with the club remains somewhat in the air. The 26-year-old is a pending restricted free agent. And while there’s been talk of a long-term extension, nothing has been signed yet.
Besides, we all know how quickly a goalie can fall out of favor in the NHL. It’s never a bad idea to have a highly touted up-and-comer in the organization.
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 78
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32