Mar 27, 2013, 4:16 PM EDT
Just in case you didn’t hear him the first time, Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli said it twice.
“I’m not trading Malcolm Subban,” Chiarelli told 98.5 The Sports Hub today. “He’s young, a very good goalie prospect and I see him being a big part of our future. We have some goalie depth, but I can tell you I’m not trading Malcolm Subban.”
Chiarelli made the declaration after Subban’s name surfaced in trade rumors related to Calgary captain Jarome Iginla.
Subban, 19, was drafted 24th overall by the Bruins in June. As his draft position suggests, he’s one of the top goaltending prospects in hockey.
Of course, the Bruins already have an excellent goalie in Tuukka Rask. In fact, he may end up winning the Vezina Trophy this season.
But Rask’s future with the club remains somewhat in the air. The 26-year-old is a pending restricted free agent. And while there’s been talk of a long-term extension, nothing has been signed yet.
Besides, we all know how quickly a goalie can fall out of favor in the NHL. It’s never a bad idea to have a highly touted up-and-comer in the organization.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 9
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 20
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 91
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 10
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 35
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (93)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)